• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 from Wizard Universe

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone else purchased a "CGC 9.8" book from Wizard and wondered how in the world the book was graded 9.8? Just received an Astonishing X-Men #4 that is supposedly 9.8, but I can plainly see a knicked corner, a small chip of color missing on the cover, and the spine is cracked like it has been read. How in the world did this pass the so-called 3 CGC grader's?

Wizard. As in "Wizard: The Comics Magazine." Sometimes they have pretty good sales on their website for CGC stuff. I'd post a scan, but I have no scanner...

Wizard have little or no credibility here on the boards, hence the phrase "who's Wizard". They are little more than a hot comic hype machine, so don't be taken in by the money making 'potential' the books they sell claim to have. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Has anyone else purchased a "CGC 9.8" book from Wizard and wondered how in the world the book was graded 9.8? Just received an Astonishing X-Men #4 that is supposedly 9.8, but I can plainly see a knicked corner, a small chip of color missing on the cover, and the spine is cracked like it has been read. How in the world did this pass the so-called 3 CGC grader's?

Was this a "Wizard First" book? I believe the grading is more lenient on these books. Didn't Wizard & CGC come up with a separate set of grading standards on Wizard First books?

Sorry guys. I already mentioned that I can't post a scan right now. No equipment to do so .....

As for sarcasm, this was my first ever post on CGC, so how was I supposed to know you were being sarcastic?

And no, it's not a Wizard First book. Wizard sells several books that are "graded" 9.8. But hey, maybe it's right because I saw a book on this site yesterday that most people were saying would get an 8.0 grade and I wouldn't have given it a 7.0. So I may be too hard.

As for sarcasm, this was my first ever post on CGC, so how was I supposed to know you were being sarcastic?

Basically because with Wizard's place in the industry asking "Who's Wizard?" is just short of asking "Who's Marvel?"

And no, it's not a Wizard First book. Wizard sells several books that are "graded" 9.8. But hey, maybe it's right because I saw a book on this site yesterday that most people were saying would get an 8.0 grade and I wouldn't have given it a 7.0. So I may be too hard.

Was this your first CGC book?

Yes, it is. I'm currently going through my collection to pull out about 10 to send in to have graded, but this was my first one, yes.

If you can, post some scans and we can give you opinions. thumbsup2.gif

Did I read your other post correctly? The book is 9.8, some others that saw it graded it 8.0, and you grade it at around 7.0? How could there be such a disparity?

If it does look that bad, I'd try and get a refund from Wizard.