• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Think HG Marvel Tales...

28 posts in this topic

Well, they have sentimental value anyway. Growing up, this was almost the only to read the original Lee/Romita tales for kids of my generation. I bought them every month alongside the regular ASM and, later, the Peter Parker title. Great stuff.

Well, they have sentimental value anyway. Growing up, this was almost the only to read the original Lee/Romita tales for kids of my generation. I bought them every month alongside the regular ASM and, later, the Peter Parker title. Great stuff.

The 1st time I read ASM 122 was in MT 99... cloud9.gif

MARVELTALES99.jpg

I dunno... I've certainly seen a lot of those books in apparent high grade in 50 cent bins. Granted, they may get beat up in there, but it seems that, sometimes, they've been sitting in the same long box for 25 years. I've come across warehouse finds of them too.... 50 copies of the same one.

They're reprints. Given that original Peter Parkers from that era before a certain issue are generally worthless, as well as MTUs, why should these reprint titles, new cover or not, be worth something more than their "reading value" as reprint books?

Nostalgia? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was born in 1971, but I was able to read ASM 121-145 for the 1st time in Marvel Tales. Every month I'd pick up the latest issue. cloud9.gif

If not for MT....I never would have been able to read any of those great books.

Plus... noone ever bothered to take care of them because..as you said.. they're reprints .

but the marvel tales are pretty common too. they've been sitting in bargain bins for years and years without sales. i'm surprised someone said they couldn't find copies at the national, because i really feel like i passed over hundreds, if not thousands, of them while going through long boxes at the same show. granted, i didn't look carefully enough to determine whether they were VF/NM, VF, Fine or whatever. having bought some "mixed lots" on ebay recently, I am now the proud owner of about 15 of the same Marvel Tales books from the 70s, all in about VF. It was one of the goblin stories.

Perhaps people have been buying them up recently because the originals are so darn expensive and my perception of how common they are is skewed.

Admittedly, I don't think I've ever seen that issue #100. Cool cover.