• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Think HG Marvel Tales...

28 posts in this topic

The only 70s Marvel reprint books (i.e Triple Action, Greatest Tales, Tales, etc.) that will be worth any type of premium will be those with new covers in my opinion. And even they will only be marginally higher than those with reprinted covers.

Jim

The only 70s Marvel reprint books (i.e Triple Action, Greatest Tales, Tales, etc.) that will be worth any type of premium will be those with new covers in my opinion. And even they will only be marginally higher than those with reprinted covers.

Jim

Jim has summed it up pretty well.

I used to collect Marvel's Greatest, Marvel's Collector Item Classics, Triple Action, etc. as a kid in the 70's and my LCS had pretty much every issue.

That is, before I figured out they were reprints... foreheadslap.gif

Anyhow, my LCS (still in business) doesn't stock a one of the reprint titles now and I've pretty much lost interest in the lot since they all have at least a few panels deleted (even tho' I'd like a few of them for the afore-mentioned new covers).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I think that particular issue of MT you're showing is part of a warehouse find. I bought 3 copies from a dealer at a show a few years back who had a few dozen of them.

Yeah, I doubt those titles (except maybe the 1st issue or so) will ever be worth much.

I don't know if the original cover issues will ever be worth anything other than a minor premium over the other reprint issues, but this might give you a sense of how hard it is to find them in 9.0 or better.

[*]it took me over 4 years to find a 9.0 or better copy of Marvel Superheroes 47. Thanks to a fellow forumite for ending the wait.

[*]I was bottom feeding at the National last month and searched every box I could find and only came up with 3, yes 3, 9.0 Marvel reprints with original covers. They're beautiful with super high gloss I've NEVER seen on these issues. Still, you'd think there would be more than 3 in the room.

In general, I think it's tough to find any reprint books in HG, but the original covers seem even more difficult. To me, that means that at least some of them made it into semi-permanent collections, have been taken care of, and just haven't seen the light of day. So, perhaps they are out there in high grade waiting for a market to appear. Still, I've only found about 10 in the last year or so. And, of course, the older they are they more difficult they are. The great Kane covers on Marvel Tales are fairly easy, but the 20 cent issues of all titles are beyond tough.

I want to pick up all the MT issues with "new" cover art, but I've been too lazy to look.

The early 80s MT reprints of AF#15 & ASM #1-#50 are kind of cool - reprint covers IIRC, but the AF#15 reprint included the unused Ditko cover inside. What was goofy about them, was you had what was clearly 60s era art, but Marvel had updated the pop-culture references to TV shows and the like. They also carried a letters section, which I thought was cool - a lettercol in a reprint book. They're probably still cheaper than picking up the Marvel Masterworks.

[*]it took me over 4 years to find a 9.0 or better copy of Marvel Superheroes 47. Thanks to a fellow forumite for ending the wait.

After reading your post, it took me 30 seconds to find one. Metro has one. Ooops, had one. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

After reading your post, it took me 30 seconds to find one. Metro has one. Ooops, had one. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

My copy is a double cover!!! gossip.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif My second copy is merely ordinary, like yours. grin.gif