• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

75 Years Ago Today... Blue Beetle begins

39 posts in this topic

Excellent grouping of books already in this thread...

Blue Beetle was one of the first GA heroes that I was exposed to. Though agreed he's only a mediocre character, he still has a strong nostalgic appeal for me.

Just a reader, but I like this cover...

000_0153.jpg

Jon, I used to own that Church copy of Mystery Men 1 - now I have the Denver copy.

MystMen1DENVER.jpg

Mystery Men 1 is such a great book. It skyrocketed in value one year IIRC, which may have hurt it in the long run.

bluebeetles.jpg

(worship)

I need to get a #2 eventually(traded mine a few years ago). But at least I have a nice copy of #1(thanks to RedFury).

bluebeetle1zps8b61e7c0.jpg

Jon, I used to own that Church copy of Mystery Men 1 - now I have the Denver copy.

MystMen1DENVER.jpg

Mystery Men 1 is such a great book. It skyrocketed in value one year IIRC, which may have hurt it in the long run.

You are most probably right about the negative impact of the hugmongous price increase in the OS guide.

To go from an under market valuation of only $2,100 in the 1995 guide up to a full FMV of $8,500 in the 1996 guide for an astounding 305% one-year increase is just so un-Overstreet like. :o

BTW: Did quite a few of the Denver books exhibit the same slight dust shadowing on the covers similar to your copy of MM #1? Looks like a really sharp copy and I don't believe that CGC really downgrades that much for dust shadows (or I could be wrong about that). (shrug)

BTW: Did quite a few of the Denver books exhibit the same slight dust shadowing on the covers similar to your copy of MM #1? Looks like a really sharp copy and I don't believe that CGC really downgrades that much for dust shadows (or I could be wrong about that). (shrug)

I honestly can't really recall, lou - Payette shipped out two boxes of books to us (Joe Dungan and I) for first dibs (unfortunately we could only afford a few each at the time, so we reluctantly sent most of them back). While I strongly dislike dust shadows, MM 1 had/has such a strong appeal, I just couldn't resist it (even with the bindery chip/tear in the upper left hand corner, too).

Again, a stellar debut issue IMHO...

Blue Beetle even had his own radio show.

It's interesting that there appears to be no surviving memorabilia or photos of the NY World's Fair Blue Beetle Day. And apparently Fox sponsored contests for kids (relay races) at Brooklyn theaters leading up to the day. I will have to dig through some newspapers on that... some day...

It`s amazing how some radio show stuff has just disappeared.

I wish you luck in digging up any info. :wishluck: