• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best thing about collecting/loving comics?!

38 posts in this topic

Best thing about loving comics? The unparalleled combination of plot, writing, art and imagination. No other medium provides it.

I can still remember from over 30 years ago starting to read Avengers 100. Had a phenomenal Barry Smith splash with the Black Knight and Aragorn with wings spread. Had a tremendous Roy Thomas text (ragging the government for funding trips to the moon for "games of gratuitous golf"). Had a great plot that brought back everyone who was ever a member of the Avengers. cloud9.gif

I can still remember starting to read the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers #2. The boys are on the splash page, about to enter a bank to rob it. Phineas, while lighting up a doob: "How about a hit before we go inside?" Fat Freddy: "Sure, I'd hate to die without having tasted it!" devil.gif

Best thing about collecting comics? Being in a convention room full of beauties from all eras and of all styles. Upgrading a cool ish from reader copy to high grade specimen. Getting my son into old comics - his reader set of early Lee/Kirby Thors has become impressive, and he loves the variety of villians and snippets of Norse mythology.

Great hobby!

For me it's become many things:

There's the reliving of stories I read long ago during my childhood & recapturing some of those feelings.

There's also the historical intrest I have in this media, which began as .10 funny books produced by publishers to make a dime with characters in tights & a cape, to highly developed characters and stories which branch in and out of other characters or titles.

There's also the shear joy I find from searching & finding that momentary "Priceless Jewel I've been searching for" and preserving it for the future.

The Comic Book is as much a piece of Americana as Jazz, Rock & Roll, Coca-Cola, Blue Jeans or Mickey Mouse. I find it entertaining, interesting, challenging, elusive, frustrating and highly rewarding all at the same time.

I've enjoyed collecting comics for close to 40 years, and I hope to still enjoy it just as much 40 years from now ! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Great bathroom reading.

893applaud-thumb.gif I agree 100% and it'seven better when those bathroom readers come back slabbed by CGC at 9.8s tongue.gif

For me, it is the awesome creative (ret-cons) storylines that can be found like Sins Past, Avengers Disassembled... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif and the hotly drawn female form...

Johnny Five ... NO DISSASSEMBLE!

662198-shortcircuit.gif

662198-shortcircuit.gif.35ab096bd507c03d5e44a15023b43ece.gif

The four "ings" (well, kind of)

The researching

The revelationing (I SAID "kind of")

The compiling

The cataloguing

confused-smiley-013.gif C'Mon Pov - how about the Artistry of both illustration and story. Maybe I lack culture, but when I'm at an Art museum I appreciate the works, but I still walk around thinking, "Man thats Nice but its no Steranko or Wrightson." 27_laughing.gif

The four "ings" (well, kind of)

The researching

The revelationing (I SAID "kind of")

The compiling

The cataloguing

POV!!! What about (to quote Brando) "The Horror...the Horror..."

Great bathroom reading.

893applaud-thumb.gif I agree 100% and it'seven better when those bathroom readers come back slabbed by CGC at 9.8s tongue.gif

I also agree 100%, and my love is even more specific--I love buying already-slabbed 9.8s, cracking them open, and then reading them on the can. There's nothing finer. cloud9.gif