• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingh's Wild Roller Coaster Ride aka Asbury Park

75 posts in this topic

Asbury Park presented a number of rare and eclectic signature opportunities. I was absolutely thrilled when Glenn (Peasofcrap) announced he was going. It really felt like a tiny little San Diego based upon the amazing guest list. I have just gotten my mods back and want to give this weird little show, and this weird little submission its own thread.

I was super pumped to see Don McGregor. This is the first time I have had the opportunity to get him, at least that I was aware of. He wrote Jungle Action and a bunch of other Marvels, and basically ran the Talent side of the B&W magazines for a while. He also did a neat little Indy called Sabre. The only weird thing about this book is that it is a 9.8

photo_zpsbd74506f.jpg

Weird book #1 - Megaton Man #1 This is the main work of Don Simpson. I was stoked that he was on the list - hadn't seen him before. Plus Denis Kitchen, the publisher was there, so it was a sweet chance to get Kitchen on a Kitchen Sink book. Well, Simpson cancelled. So instead of getting the writer, pencilled, inker and publisher, I got the publisher. lol

photo_zps7165c4b6.jpg

There have been several chances that I have missed to get Ann Nocenti - creator of Typhoid Mary, Longshot and others. The funny thing about this is that I have about 10 copies of this issue and none were 9.8.

photo_zps8d6d0dff.jpg

John Workman is most notable for his amazing lettering on Walt Simonson's Thor run. He is an Eisner award winning letterer. But he also wrote, pencilled and inked his Roma series in DHP in the mid - eighties. I crossed my fingers and hoped that the issue where he did all of the above AND did the cover was in my long boxes. It was. (Thanks Collin!)

photo_zpsdb891ee1.jpg

I have missed Peter Bagge several times and am thrilled to have gotten him. I would have preferred Hate or Neat Stuff, but I just don't have any early issues in high grade. Thrilled with this regardless.

photo_zps40e6ebe9.jpg

I have missed JH Williams III at least twice at SD, including last year. He is doing the art for the Sandman prequel, which is being lettered by the amazing Todd Klein. Nerd though I am, I am not one to typically gush over letterers, Klein's work on Sandman and Promethea are a goodly part of why the books are so amazing. Getting them both on the same book makes me happy.

photo_zpse0e38dd1.jpg

Weird book #2. This copy of Promethea just missed the cut of going over for Alan Moore a couple of years ago. It is very sharp. It also was manufactured with the first two wraps twice and missing the last two wraps entirely. In a beautiful example of how manufacturer's errors are treated (and this is not sarcasm, I have posted on it many times) I am left with a OAK that is likely to stand for all time.

photo_zps44c8b24d.jpg

There hasn't been a ton going on in here other than sketches, so feel free to post your own Asbury Park books or any other totally obscure or weird books.

I have two sweet Econs coming in this week. So I will add them when I can. :busy:

No man, I tried to put a group of books together for Glenn at the last minute and got called away on a two day seminar :frustrated: That'll learn ya to wait till the last minute doh!

Was after Todd Klein (again!) and I don't have any SS from Dave Hunt. Did you get any from him, or do you already have him?