• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the best Iron Man story between issue 1 and 20?

12 posts in this topic

Trying to narrow my wantlist a bit, and I am wondering which story/arc was the best in the first 20 issues. I never collected much Iron Man as a kid, and am wondering if there are some good stories that I might be missing.

This is not a guess-what-I-might-like, but a what-is-your-fave type of question.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

The first 20 IMO were not that memorable. His villains were not that impressive. Gladiator, Crusher, Freak.

I liked 9-16 if I had to choose from those issues.

I agree - these issues, particularly the 12-centers (#1-15) are of interest primarily because of their great covers by George Tuska and Johnny Craig. All are beautiful Silver Age constructs. 893applaud-thumb.gif

That would narrow my choices a bit.

I skimmed thru the first 10 in the recent Iron Man Essentials V2 and found them lackluster.

The two-story Controller arc in 12 and 13 as well as 17 and 18 (with the Avengers) also looked intriguing.

Interesting... as I've read from other quarters that the first 20 are primo especially compared to later stories (at least up until the first Michelinie/Layton/Romita run).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

The pre-Iron Man ToS issues are reasonable, mainly for Colan's artwork. But trying to find a decent story in the first 100 issues of his own title will be hard work.

I recall as a young fanboy in the early 70s, that there was a general agreement that Iron Man was the suckiest of Marvel's super-hero books. There was one kid that liked the title, but he was considered too pathetic for the rest of the comic nerds to hang out with.

I recall as a young fanboy in the early 70s, that there was a general agreement that Iron Man was the suckiest of Marvel's super-hero books. There was one kid that liked the title, but he was considered too pathetic for the rest of the comic nerds to hang out with.

That was the general consensus in our mid-70's collecting circle. We liked ol' Shellhead in Avengers well enough, but his own book really sucked rocks.

Maybe I'll just save my money for something I know I like... or buy that Power of Iron Man TPB that's been gathering dust at my LCS. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now THAT's pathetic! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

That was the general consensus in our mid-70's collecting circle. We liked ol' Shellhead in Avengers well enough, but his own book really sucked rocks.

Maybe I'll just save my money for something I know I like... or buy that Power of Iron Man TPB that's been gathering dust at my LCS. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree and disagree (as usual). Now, I think that TOS #39 through say, #60, have a certain "campiness" not found in the other Marvel titles. Then, I wasa member of the hater group, but that's flipped upside down now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just buy the early Iron Man vol. 1 issues for the double-gloss coating. Very shiney red & blues! 893applaud-thumb.gif

While I admit that there are many a nice cover in there, I've never been a cover-only buyer. The book's gotta be something I'd want to read.

That Power of Iron Man TPB is looking better all of the time...