• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to pick up now - Constantine new 52 or Clone

20 posts in this topic

Just gotten back into comics about a month ago. I already have picked up Saga (1-19 first prints), thief of thieves (1-21 first prints), southern bastards and Manifest destiny (1-7 first prints). But I wanted to add one more and was looking at Constantine or Clone.

Any opinions on which is looking to be more promising? (in terms of story mainly, but value helps as well)

Havent read Constantine but Clone is amazing....

Might be a harder to get early Clone issues though as the show hype is there vs new 52 Constantine i dont think is affected as much as swamp 37 for his show

Havent read Constantine but Clone is amazing.... Might be a harder to get early Clone issues though

+1

You'll have to wait for the right Ebay auction or read Clone through the trade paperbacks.

I am curious as to what happens to the Clone comics. The subsequent issues (7, 8, 9, ... 18) are much more rare than #1.

You'll have much trouble finding floppies for the later issues but the prices on #1 are still relatively low for a comic that is in pre-production for a television show.

I have not read Constantine yet, but I did start off with Clone for 5 or 6 issues then dropped it. I did not care for the artwork, and the story was okay but there are better reads out there.

If you are looking to speculate on either run, pick up a Swamp Thing #37 or Hellblazer #1 for cheap.

Constantine new 52 is a pale shadow of Hellblazer. More about spells and and artefacts winning the day... Rather than deception, cunning, intelligence and downright lying doing the job. John Constantine should be a worthy adversary because of his capacity to think and manipulate his adversary not due to his magic. I think landing him in the new 52 is a difficult task for anyone.

Was chatting about this recently and the fact that Hellblazer was Vertigo's longest running title meant that it was prone to the same problems that dog the mainstream hero titles. Not every team that worked on it produced a classic run so certain arcs and also the new book may end up living in the shadow of a lot of the former brilliance.

You can't take much away from the character that Moore created though. One of the best out there. I hope they continue to do more with him and it hits its stride again.

Clone is such an action packed fast paced read, every issue you'll find yourself turning the pages quicker to see what happens next. One my "must read ASAP" books every month. Very small print run from issue 5 or so on up.

Here's a good lot to get you started (not mine)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clone-First-Print-Image-Comics-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-/271521054741?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f37ea8015

Yeah, I agree. If we were comparing Hellblazer to Clone, Clone would go down in a heap. Those books were nearly up there with Preacher and Sandman. Very good stuff.

You might think Hellblazer is up there, but as a complete run it's probably never going to break into the top 100 all time and struggles to get in there on the Ennis run alone. Titles like Sandman, Preacher, YTLM, or even V for Vendetta all have a tight start, middle and end throughout which will set them apart and keep them living in TPB for the forseeable. That's not to say it doesn't have its fans, just that with 300 issues available they have the luxury to pick and choose the best bits.

This thread made me check out the review for Constantine #15 (I have only read the first handful) http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=7420 ... and it seems to finally be getting some more positive feedback. Interesting.

I have read a little over half of what Clone has to offer and it was ok. I can't say that it kept me all that entertained, I did like the art though. If you are going to get it then get a trade or do it at a good price as the numbers continue to fall quite low. There are other Image titles with much lower numbers that continue to publish and they are several more years down the line to boot... just saying that I would balk at overpaying for #1 if there are 22K copies out there compared to 4K+ of the May issue which doesn't seem to have been read by many people.

What a strange thread topic. So much choice out there and these two books pitted against each other. I might just go and catch up on some Constantine. I'll probably regret it because it won't be Hellblazer *sigh*

Yeah, I agree. If we were comparing Hellblazer to Clone, Clone would go down in a heap. Those books were nearly up there with Preacher and Sandman. Very good stuff.

You might think Hellblazer is up there, but as a complete run it's probably never going to break into the top 100 all time and struggles to get in there on the Ennis run alone. Titles like Sandman, Preacher, YTLM, or even V for Vendetta all have a tight start, middle and end throughout which will set them apart and keep them living in TPB for the forseeable. That's not to say it doesn't have its fans, just that with 300 issues available they have the luxury to pick and choose the best bits.

This thread made me check out the review for Constantine #15 (I have only read the first handful) http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=7420 ... and it seems to finally be getting some more positive feedback. Interesting.

I have read a little over half of what Clone has to offer and it was ok. I can't say that it kept me all that entertained, I did like the art though. If you are going to get it then get a trade or do it at a good price as the numbers continue to fall quite low. There are other Image titles with much lower numbers that continue to publish and they are several more years down the line to boot... just saying that I would balk at overpaying for #1 if there are 22K copies out there compared to 4K+ of the May issue which doesn't seem to have been read by many people.

What a strange thread topic. So much choice out there and these two books pitted against each other. I might just go and catch up on some Constantine. I'll probably regret it because it won't be Hellblazer *sigh*

I read the first couple of Constantine and it was okay but nothing that made me come back. As for the Hellblazer run, I was remembering those Ennis issues. He was on fire back then. I did like Preacher and Hitman a lot better. in fact, there was a time when Hitman was my first read off the stack no matter what else came out.