• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johns/JRJR Superman?

43 posts in this topic

So how many people plan to pick this up?

Personally, I'm pretty excited. The preview in the back of some of the DC books looks good, and I think Johns can turn the title around.

People were ragging on Romita Jr, but the art looks pretty solid. I've said it before, but it is all about who is doing his coloring/finishes. This looks like it could be pretty solid.

Thoughts?

I'm picking up a copy to see if it is going to push Superman back into relevance or not.

Will it sell more than the past 10 issues, sure. Will it keep it up?

Yea I'm curious to see what it does after the first few issues. My hope is it is similar to the JMS/JRJR run on Spidey that brought the character back from mediocrity. Superman needs something.

I've not picked up a single Superman-related title since NEW52 started. The only time I've picked them up is when they're blanks and even then I'm selective.

As for this new team of creators coming to do their thing, I'll be all over it as I like Johns work as well as the artist team of Romita Jr & Janson. Hopefully it'll be good. At least better than the SUPERMAN UNCHAINED and certainly much better than the Lobdell writing.

The same could be said about Frank Miller's art. It's unique and distinct...adds to the appeal.

Hmm...I think a lot of Miller's DD and Wolvie stuff you could say this about. He was trying to make it fit a certain mold...still more expressive and accurate than JRJR. That and it was from the 80s.

Miller's stuff on things like Ronin, Sin City, 300, etc. is crazy energetic/expressive and makes up for any lack of technical merit.

It's an origin story.

It's a KEY issue.

The twelve year old me would have been orgasmic.

It takes some of the stink off the New 52 Superman pig.

JrJr leaves visual fingerprints all over Big Bad Blue.

Not bad...

even if the story and writing sucks, I bet the art will shine!

It would be an appropriate time in his career to take on a "protégé"

A finisher.

His layouts are dynamite, but the finished product...lacking energy.

2StNTuQ.jpg

Picked up my copy this morning and really liked it. Good balance of action and character moments and overall I liked the art. The last Supes book I read was Superman Unchained so it was quite refreshing to jump into a completely different visual style.

I hope Romita does a long run on this book. Tired of artists jumping ship after 12 issues. Would really like to see what he can do with the character in the long term

LOVE that cover too. Really impressive in person