• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail Art?

118 posts in this topic

That's a great story! Wish I had been there.

This piece has immediately become one of my prized possessions..... it's really not comic art.... as far as I'm concerned, this is fine art by an artist who started out in the comic industry. Hey, even my wife likes it! That's the real test!

Yeah, in my entire collection, there're maybe five pieces of art that she actually likes. Her favorite is my two-page end-sequence from DD 176, with Elektra battling (and killing) Kirigi. I made her read the series a while back, and she's loved those pages ever since.

COVERS:

Amazing Spider-Man 21: To me embodies the classic Ditko Spider-man -- upside down, dodging the Human Torch, who was a frequent guest in the early Spidey days, with the Beetle manacing from the other side.

asm21.jpg

Fantastic Four 39: Classic giant Dr. Doom cover, with a guest appearance by Daredevil. This storyline was one of the first I ever read as a kid, where the FF loses their powers and DD helps them, then Ben demolishes Dr. Doom in hand to hand combat at the end of Issue #40. An interior page of #40 sold on ebay a couple years ago, and I bid on it, but it went over the mark that I could afford at the time. I still regret missing out on that page. ANY of the interior pages from ASM21 or FF 39 and 40 would be grails for me!!!

ff39.jpg

Broof! I'd love to own one of those. Speaking of which, I know someone on these boards had Ditko's office number. I know it would be easier to get JD Salinger to take my mom to a Metallica concert, but I wonder if Ditko would do a sketch commission if I asked nicely, payed well, and didn't stalk him. If anyone has that phone number, IM me...