• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible books for Grading

22 posts in this topic

I am planning on sending in some books pretty soon for grading. I have a list of about 20 books, but don't want to send in anymore than probably 10 books. I'm afraid I don't have any scans of them at the time, but I have received some recommendations and grade estimates from my local comic dealer, as well as judging the books myself following Overstreet guidelines. Can anyone offer recommendations of which of these books would be the best to have graded?

1. Amazing Spiderman 238, 1st Hobgoblin, possible 8.0 to 8.5

2. Amazing Spiderman 361, 1st Carnage, solid 9.6

3. Amazing Spiderman 509, solid 9.6

4. Astonishing X-Men 1, Dellotto variant, solid 9.6

5. Avengers Annual 10, 1st Rogue, 8.5 to 9.0

6. Batman 457, 1st Tim Drake as Robin, solid 9.4

7. Batman 612, solid 9.6

8. Fathom: Dawn of War 2, Wizard World TX 2004 edition, solid 9.6

9. New Teen Titans 2, 1st Deathstroke, solid 9.4

10. Soulfire 1, Diamond Previews edition, solid 9.6

11. Spawn 1, solid 9.6

12. Silver Surfer (v.3) 50, solid 9.6

13. Uncanny X-Men 175, solid 9.6

14. Uncanny X-Men 266, 1st Gambit, solid 9.6

15. Uncanny X-Men 283, 1st Bishop, solid 9.6

16. Wolverine (v.2) 10, 1st Wolverine vs. Sabretooth, solid 9.4

17. Wolverine (v.3) 20, Wizard World TX 2004 edition, solid 9.6

18. New Avengers 1, Spiderman variant, solid 9.6

19. Ultimates 2 #1, sketch variant, solid 9.6

20. Ultimate Fantastic Four 13, sketch variant, solid 9.6

I'd like any input I can get on which of these 20 books you would have graded.

THANKS! headbang.gif

I'm really not looking to sell and make a big profit right now. It's mostly for investment purposes and keeping them in the condition they're currently in. Does that change your reasoning?

In that case, don't slab any of them. Save your grading fees and keep the books in Mylar with acid free backing boards.

I've kept plenty of books in bags and boards since the dawn of time, and it never fails that the corners still become slightly damaged with time, especially on the spine.

I asked for opinions about which books to slab, because I don't really care what the fees are right now. It's for investment purposes. Slab now while they're still in good condition, hold onto it for a number of years as the values increase, then sell it when the time comes that I need to make some extra money. That's the complete plan.

I've kept plenty of books in bags and boards since the dawn of time, and it never fails that the corners still become slightly damaged with time, especially on the spine.

I asked for opinions about which books to slab, because I don't really care what the fees are right now. It's for investment purposes. Slab now while they're still in good condition, hold onto it for a number of years as the values increase, then sell it when the time comes that I need to make some extra money. That's the complete plan.

NC - Four very knowledgeable Board memebers just gave you their honest opinions, all of which constitute good advice, individually and collectively. Please read their replies again - they know what they're talking about makepoint.gif

NC, I have to agree with Diva, listen to the other board memebers. You plan has a large assumption that these books will increase in value. Maybe, maybe not. Also, if you take into account grading fees, which you said you didnt care about, the grading fees/shipping fees alone are in excess of $150. THat cuts into your future profit. just my humble opinion,

Arex

So you all think that a slabbed copy of Uncanny 266 is not going to gain in value? Do you know that a 9.8 copy of this book generally sells for about $250 right now? I'm sure it'll raise to, especially if Gambit is slated for an appearance in X3.

So you all think that a slabbed copy of Uncanny 266 is not going to gain in value? Do you know that a 9.8 copy of this book generally sells for about $250 right now? I'm sure it'll raise to, especially if Gambit is slated for an appearance in X3.

Well, you MAY be right . . . but chances are . . . you have a 9.2 gossip.gif which is worth about $5 on a good day makepoint.gif unless of course it's slabbed, then you might get $21 for it 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Dice will be able to tell you which have a good chance of grading high. He's actually pretty good at this (and lighting farts).

Just one question... why do you have a hard time keeping books undamaged? If you lock it away in a Mylar w/ a Full Back you are going to have one heck of a time damaging it. Just curious.

Ah... herein lies the problem. Go down to your local comic show (LCS) and ask them for a 4mil Mylar and a Full Back (thick acid free backing board). Place book on board -- carefully slip both into the Mylar. This is what us oldtimers used to do before someone convinced people that locking a comicbook in a plastic case was a good idea. You'll be out a couple buck max.

If you like what you see go over to comicsupplies.com (or Gerber or Bill Cole) and order 100 of each. Then, when the time comes to sell you can send in your books and get them slabbed. In the meantime you'll have an extra $150 of disposable cash. Compound that over the next 40 years (at 10%) and you've got about $5000 -- waaaaay more than that X-Men #266 will be worth.