• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Measuring DOESN'T work

28 posts in this topic

These guys make excellent points. I want to be clear though. I don't think measuring is the gold standard for detecting trimming, but for a newer collector it can keep you out of trouble. If a book is off by 1/4" or more the chances of trimming rise dramatically.

These guys make excellent points. I want to be clear though. I don't think measuring is the gold standard for detecting trimming, but for a newer collector it can keep you out of trouble. If a book is off by 1/4" or more the chances of trimming rise dramatically.

Not really. That's basically regular production variance. That's what the image above shows. There are clean copies of Daredevil #1 that are cut at a slant and at least 1/2 inch skinnier at one end than other copies. I didn't include any in the above image, but if I redid it I would be able to dig up some real eye openers.

Not really. That's basically regular production variance. That's what the image above shows. There are clean copies of Daredevil #1 that are cut at a slant and at least 1/2 inch skinnier at one end than other copies. I didn't include any in the above image, but if I redid it I would be able to dig up some real eye openers.

That's a very common defect on SA Marvels printed between 1964 and 1966. (thumbs u

Yep -- just read a DD #10 with that miscut issue.

I've also noticed variation extensively as I've been shopping for a Strange Tales 101. Just look at eBay listings and see how margin varies in relation to the issue number, logo, etc.

For some reason there seems to be lots of variation with this particular book, or it is for some reason the most popular-to-trim SA book ever!

ST 101 is an excellent example...... there are horrible copies out there. GOD BLESS...

I find that ST #101, FF #12 and JIM #83 are all commonly thought of as being trimmed due to the Comics Code box proximity to the open end of the book when they actually are not. There might be others I don't remember.