• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Measuring DOESN'T work

28 posts in this topic

These 7 comics - all from the same publisher and spanning 3 titles and 3 months - are meant to have the same dimensions.

Measure1.jpg Measure2.jpg

Production quality certainly doesn't get any better as you travel into the past, so never think you can judge trimming by comparing two comics. Even using two of the same issue doesn't work, although there hopefully should be less variation than this.

For a newer collector, it's a simple and fairly effective method. More savvy collectors can look for clues like fanning, indentations, and other inconsistencies, but measuring is as good a place to start as any. I recommend using a 3/16" threshold on each edge. It looks like several of those books would pass by that standard. If you had started collecting a few months back, and wanted to improve your technique you have to start somewhere. It's not 100% accurate but easy and effective for the most part, guys.

For a newer collector, it's a simple and fairly effective method.

How is comparing sizes effective if even identical comics of the same issue number can be different sizes?

So far all I've seen are a half dozen or so books in the dark with different lengths. I cannot tell you what those are or whether or not I think they are trimmed. I dont have enough info to make that call. All I am stating is a novice collector can use measuring to lesson the chances of holding the bag on a trimmed book. I'm not saying its 100% foolproof, but its cheaper than mailing in every book for a pre-screen. If you can show me two universally graded copies of the same book with a greater variance of 3/16ths" cut on more than one edge then you might make a believer out of me. Until then chalk me up in the camp that believes measuring can be a cost effective way of steering clear of bunk books.

There are 3 reasons why measuring does not work. During production there is a +/- tolerance during the trimming process. The book can also shrink after production, and can also expand. Once I tried to do a graft and it would not line up because the actual art was smaller in size compared to the other copy.

There are 3 reasons why measuring does not work. During production there is a +/- tolerance during the trimming process. The book can also shrink after production, and can also expand. Once I tried to do a graft and it would not line up because the actual art was smaller in size compared to the other copy.

And I got laughed at when I said that paper changes dimensions over time.

What few seem to want to accept is that it is not the covers that were "shrinking" with the "facejob" scandal, but that the interior pages, lacking sizing (which has nothing to do with size, for those wondering), were expanding, which is easily demonstrated.

I could have been one of those people, but I have seen it first hand. I did an extensive study, measuring the cover and pages after exposure to certain processes, and was able to shrink and expand both the cover and pages by as much as 3mm.

What few seem to want to accept is that it is not the covers that were "shrinking" with the "facejob" scandal, but that the interior pages, lacking sizing (which has nothing to do with size, for those wondering), were expanding, which is easily demonstrated.

I can possibly buy that. hm

I could have been one of those people,

I don't think it was you that laughed at me but several did.

but I have seen it first hand. I did an extensive study, measuring the cover and pages after exposure to certain processes, and was able to shrink and expand both the cover and pages by as much as 3mm.

Of course.

People like to think that nothing ever changes and everything is constant.

Paper, buildings, human bodies - everything changes size or shape slightly depending on outside forces.

but I have seen it first hand. I did an extensive study, measuring the cover and pages after exposure to certain processes, and was able to shrink and expand both the cover and pages by as much as 3mm.

Of course.

Paper, buildings, human bodies - everything changes size or shape slightly depending on outside forces.

Gravity and time are unkind..... :censored:

Interesting posts by all. Thanks

During production there is a +/- tolerance during the trimming process.

I just sold an SA book that I had two copies of - and when comparing them side-by-side (they were the same grade), I saw that the staples are in two different locations. Machine get jammed up, break down, etc, etc - I'm sure not everything had the same measurements the entire print run.

Of course.

Gravity and time are unkind..... :censored:

Interesting posts by all. Thanks

No man, that's not what i meant! The stuff can change from hour to hour is my point!

You're actually taller in the morning than you are in the evening. Did you know that?

Most people take things for being constant but many things around us change more than we realize.

I did this a long time ago, so I don't remember what the landmark was, but I laid about 10 copies of Daredevil #1 on top of each other, lined up a single landmark and sliced out bits in Photoshop to show the variance. The first image was done to debunk "look at how close the number is to the right edge, it's got to be trimmed" talk.

dd1.box.jpg

dd1s.jpg