• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay, conventions, craigslist, comiclink - where to buy? posted by Megatran217

11 posts in this topic

want to know where ideal places would be to purchase key issues

In my infancy stage of comic book collecting, I try to refrain from grabbing anything I can get my hands on.

I used to collect comics when I was in jr high school and Wolverine was my main guy and he still in. I have not make it one of my quests to seek out the Hulk #181.

I have perused ebay and craigslist, been out bidded on comiclink, and did not see any Hulk 181s on my quest to find one within my price range.

I will be attending another convention in early august, as it is a 3 day event. But I would love some suggestions as to what would be the ideal route to find a Hulk 181 at a fair price.

See more journals by Megatran217

I troll all over the place for key comics... but according to GPA Analysis, Hulk 181 is the most sought after Bronze Age key comic. And because demand is so strong, it's going to be difficult finding a price you can live with.

I would try eBay at first and maybe try and haggle with the seller. However, this may not work if so many buyers are clamoring for the issue.

If not, post a Want to Buy (WTB) on the chat boards here in CGC... maybe a boardie is looking to sell.

If you troll on the other auction sites, Comiclink, ComicConnect, Heritage Auctions, Pedigree Comics, etc., you're probably going to pay market value.

If you don't have GPA, send me a PM on the CGC Grade level you want for H181, and I will look and see what the last sale price was for such a grade and send it to you.

FYI: GPA does not track sales on raws, and some auction sites like ComicLink do not report its sales to GPA.

SW3D

For high-demand books like IH 181, I would recommend going for a mid to high grade raw at a convention where you can actually look at it, check for the Marvel Value Stamp, and maybe haggle a little in person. There are plenty of copies out there at the major shows, and even some of the small local ones.

There are dozens of scams on Craigslist and eBay for big books like this, because there is so much interest in them and the price is usually high enough to make a good scam but not so high as to really attract the attention of law enforcement.

Meanwhile, authentic slabbed copies on the big auction sites like ComicLink, ComicConnect, Heritage, etc usually attract deep pockets.

Here or a convention. Convention is good for Seeing the book in person like Garlanda said. And my favorite part, is the ability to haggle. Just remember you have to power to walk away. And he/she knows that. Use that maybe bring some books to trade to lower the price. Thats what I did at OTCC. Even though I couldnt bring myself to trade my ASM 121, 122. But Ill be doing the same at Tampa too. Maybe Ill see ya there.

-Kystix

go to convention, bring cash, better for haggling, and harder for dealer to turn you down when they're looking at the CASH. Also group it with other stuff u might want to buy for additional discounting

Thanks guys for the response. I will be attending a pretty big convention in Tampa in August. I have never been the one to "negotiate" or "haggle," maybe it was how I was raised, so hopefully I can discuss a price that will work out for both parties.

I did learn my lesson from my first convention that it is very useful to bring cash, I meant to do that but was running late and did not go to the bank.

So just curious, if I was at the convention, and saw a book for $750, how much lower would you guys try to haggle the person down to?

When there is a BIN on eBay with a "best offer" option, I'll usually go down 15%. If the price is "fair", I'll go down 10%. But it is ALWAYS good to haggle...people in this industry expect it and lots of times inflate their prices to accommodate it.

If that $750 book had a Fair Market value of $750, Id start to haggle at 15-20% off. Worst thing they can say is no. Than you work from there. maybe they come back at 5% off. and you just keep moving til you hit your the middle, or one part cant go any further up or down.

Now if the books worth lets say $650-$700 I like to start even lower.

My goal at a con or any comic shop is to pay less than GPA or Market Value. Most the time I can. Some times I have had to pay a premium to get a book I wanted. but with 181. Ever dealer will have at least one. And I know of at least 1 really awesome Dealer. that will have like 4-5 or more.

-Kystix

here's the real secret to getting those "key" books at decent and below FMV prices...

find a dealer or LCS that carries and specializes in back issues and key books. befriend them and become a regular customer of theirs, not a cheapie, but a decent spender with a budget and a customer who is good for X amount of dollars every time you come in. let them know what books you collect and what you would be interested in obtaining in the future.

what you will find is that that dealer will actively locate and find books on your want list, and will move them to you for less than FMV. if it is a key book, even though there is huge demand, the dealer will most likely give you first dibs on it in order to move it quickly.

I opened my shop a year and a half ago and am one of the few shops in the area that focuses on back issues and key books. I currently have floating "want lists" from at least 10-15 regular customers, some of which contain huge key books. those guys usually get first dibs on the keys when I get collections and break them down, and I usually will sell it to them at a slight discount or better depending on if they are buying quantity. do I sell them everything, no, but they get first options because they are regulars and good loyal customers, even if the collection contains books like a hulk 181 or asm 1 - 10. I even sell slabbed books to regulars at below FMV if it is a book on their want list.

point is, a good working relationship with a dealer will save you big bucks in the long run and will help you attain many keys for your collection.