• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbing for preservation???

79 posts in this topic

So basically what everyone is saying is this:

-- It's not worth it to slab. Because even if you NEVER really move the slabs around, and the book remains stationary inside the slab, this micro paper could potentially harm the book after a period of time??

I disagree with the "No" statement

1) If you are getting it slabbed and then not moving it around, "Shaken Slab Syndrome" which I believe to be overblown hysteria won't happen.

2) NO OTHER product will provide the kind of protection a slab does from bending, dropping, having your 8 year old pick it up, etc etc.

3) The "microchamber" paper thing is also overblown. OK, so in seven years you need to replace it. Big deal. I rebag comics. That's essentially the same thing.

How does the CGC slab protect the comic inside when you drop it?

And secondly, getting your books re-holdered costs "WAY MORE" than re-bagging them. poke2.gif

I'm going to assume that "SCS" is basically caused by a slabbed book being shaken around in the slab, dinging up the corners and sides ... I definitely don't plan on shaking it around, or even picking them up often at all.

If you're modern books already have some small corner dings, I'd recommend going on eBay and purchasing 9.4 CGC graded copies of the same books at $15 a piece, instead of slabbing them for the same amount and receiving lower scores. If you receive 8.5's a nd 9.0's because of the corner bends then you're just waisting your money.

Khaos, I'm just trying to understand it all. Don't take offense please, I have kept books in bags & boards years, and really am just learning about the whole CGC thing (I've been out of comics for about 10 years). I just want to make sure I completely understand the disadvantages of slabbing.

Khaos, I'm just trying to understand it all. Don't take offense please, I have kept books in bags & boards years, and really am just learning about the whole CGC thing (I've been out of comics for about 10 years). I just want to make sure I completely understand the disadvantages of slabbing.

No offense taken. thumbsup2.gif

The books I may have graded don't have the usual dings that most of my modern books have. I made sure of that. Few have survived very well and would be solid 9.6's according to my local dealer.

Can you tell us what the books are?

it's tough to be a mylar bag and a nice board.

But what if I wanted to BE a Mylar really, really bad.. are you saying it is THAT tuff?

Or just that you cant be a Mylar... AND a nice board at the same time?

poke2.gif

Ze-

wink.gif

Would anyone suggest slabbing a book to keep it's condition fully preserved? Bags & boards alone, from my experience, do not keep books fully preserved. I have several modern books, mostly variant covers and key issues (1st appearances), from the 80's to the present, which I am considering slabbing strictly for purposes of safe keeping. They may be sold sometime, but not anytime in the next 3 or 4 decades.

Anyone think it's a good idea to pay the grading fees for this purpose? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do thumbsup2.gif as long as it will be a true NM or better,

this micro paper could potentially harm the book after a period of time??

I don't think so, it just losses it's effectiveness after a period of time (CGC is guessing seven years, they don't really know themselves).

But what if I wanted to BE a Mylar really, really bad.. are you saying it is THAT tuff?

poke2.gif

Ze-

wink.gif

Oh yeah, you and The Brain should get together and start a Forum Spell Check Task Force! 27_laughing.gif

Sure. Some of the books I'm considering are

ASM 361

Avengers Annual 10

Uncanny 266

Wolverine Vol. 1 (or 2, depending if you count the mini as 1) #10

They've been quoted to me as solid 9.6's. Sorry, don't have scans.

Also have some variants, like the Ultimates 2 sketch cover that are possibilities. Again, I'm not looking to slab them for resales.

poke2.gif

Ze-

wink.gif

I was sooo going to say the same thing. 27_laughing.gif

this micro paper could potentially harm the book after a period of time??

I don't think so, it just losses it's effectiveness after a period of time (CGC is guessing seven years, they don't really know themselves).

So, if the paper isn't going to hurt the comic by staying in there with the book for years and years, then whats wrong with keeping a book slabbed for decades? I've never put this paper in with my bagged comics, and they are for the most part just fine without it.

See my point here? There would be no real reason to have to send it in to get re-slabbed. makepoint.gif

I am vary good at cahtcnig tpyos!

hi.gif

But On topic.

Aside from mishandling a book( SLAB) which might result in SCS.. from improper inner well size.There are many factors that might detur you from getting a book slabbed. But if your MAIN goal is just long term storage, NOT a resto check, and an accurate grade assesment.. then Slabbing for Long Term Storage is not the end all solution.

I think a Full back, 2 mil combo.. slid into a 4 mill mylar is as good as it gets. As long as you dont drop it.

Ze-

Who's quoting you solid 9.6s?

Either way, I think you have to be careful when people tell you this, unless you think their grading is generally spot on. Even then, modern books are tough, because there are going to be defects that may knock them down that you aren't picking up, or don't traditionally down grade.

I would not slab for preservation alone. A Golden Age Mylar with a nice think board will do the trick just as nicely. And it's a lot cheaper. I like the CGC product, but more as a seller's tool, and also to resto check a book. I personally think slabbing modern doesn't pay.

But... it's not as if you're spending a fortune on grading those books either. Moderns are relatively cheap to slab, so if you like the product, the way it looks, you'll probably find that your comics will hold up just find within a CGC case, and they will certainly display very, very nicely.

I disagree with the "No" statement

1) If you are getting it slabbed and then not moving it around, "Shaken Slab Syndrome" which I believe to be overblown hysteria won't happen.

2) NO OTHER product will provide the kind of protection a slab does from bending, dropping, having your 8 year old pick it up, etc etc.

3) The "microchamber" paper thing is also overblown. OK, so in seven years you need to replace it. Big deal. I rebag comics. That's essentially the same thing.

How does the CGC slab protect the comic inside when you drop it?

And secondly, getting your books re-holdered costs "WAY MORE" than re-bagging them. poke2.gif

Having DROPPED a CGC slab containing a 9.6 Giant Size X-Men 1 onto my cold cement garage floor, I can assure you that the corner of my Giant Size X-Men 1 was not bent, whereas the corner of my CGC slab was.

And getting my books re-holdered does cost WAY MORE, but not enough to overcome the protection the case provides. At least to me.

Thanks for that answer Ze-Man. For some reason I liked yours more than the others.

Interesting. You should consider why you feel that way.

So, if you guys are so against have CGC slab comics, why are you all posting on their message boards? wink.gif

We all started out as fans of CGC... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif