• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Tales value question

25 posts in this topic

I always loved the Fantastic Four and Dr. Strange, since I first met them, and so it came naturally for me to try to collect both series in full.

I said "try" because I more or less dropped the idea with Strange Tales, because of the more expensive early issues of Strange Tales (and the key books), but I basically think it is more related to the print run, as it has been said.

The Torch early stories (without the Thing) are interesting, some are truly fascinating, and if I had to choose I’d favor the earlier ones, because I like Nick Fury but the short stories did not allow for the complexity which the characters got afterwards with their own titles. Even Doctor Strange: I am favoring the collection of Dr. Strange #169-183, improving them little by little, rather than the Strange Tales issues, on which I have less hurry (although I do love Umar, the Living Tribunal and most of the post-Ditko and pre-Colan stories).

I would guess the price difference is due to the relative scarcity of pre 1966 books. Not that they are really scarce or anything, but compared to the post 1966 books, they probably are a bit harder to come by, in high grade at least. The Torch issues have a certain silver age vibe to them that I think the series lost starting with 135, at least in my opinion.

Also, the last 20 issues or so of the series didn't feature Dr. Strange by Ditko. That may have something to do with it as well.

But honestly, Strange Tales is a great series to collect.

Yes, a great series.

I would have no problem describing the pre-1965 books as being scarce and very desirable in high-grade. Ditko's Dr. Strange is some of the best work of his career and the Kirby covers are some that are seldom seen. One could also either love the quaint charm of the early Torch stories or appreciate them as Stan finding his way in creating the Marvel Universe.

Add to it that the title was an early super-hero title, hitting the newsstands in July 1962, con-current with FF #7, JIM #84, Hulk #3, TTA #36 and a month after AF #15. ASM #1 and TOS #39 were still five months away.

Not a Kirby cover but what a great Ditko/Lee/Roussos tale inside. June 1964 newsstand.

ST124FSep64.jpg

ST124DS.jpg

Good point about the early Kirby covers. 101-109 in particular are really top notch. 107 is truly a classic landmark cover, but think 108 is just as stunning, if not more so.

The 101 is a great "starter" key issue. A nice presentable copy can be had for less than $300.

The series in itself is a great place to start for people who are new to Silver Age Marvel. It's a fun run to build, and aside from 101, 110, and maybe 111 and 115, pretty affordable.

If only Ditko had some Dr.Strange covers in there, they might be much more

in demand... Those Torch stories were lame.

You're right. I think most collectors overlook ST 130 as the first real Doc Strange cover. The cover blurb even mentions the fact that the doc gets the primo cover spot. Most people just make note of this one because of the Beatles mention, but it's more than just that. First major Doc Strange cover, and it's by Ditko.