• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what is the Modern Holy Grail? Top 10 Books?

53 posts in this topic

Guys, using my definition of Secret Wars 1 through the MK DD #1 as the modern age, what is the Holy Grail? A top 10 list anyone?

Here's my shot:

1- ASM 300 (Venom is the lasting character of the modern age)

2- MOS 1 Byrne (took Superman in a new direction)

3 - Batman 428 (first and only permanent death of a major super hero)

4 - Wolverine #1 1988 (the Marvel character of the modern age)

5 - New Mutants #87 (first Cable)

6 - ASM 252 (first Spidey black costume and with a cool AF 15 tribute cover)

7 - Magnus Robot Fighter #1 (independents going mainstream)

8 - X-Men #1A-E (with a print run of 7.5mm speculation frenzy was at its peak)

9 - Deathmate (first major inter-company cross over {note - not sure if it was Deathmate that was the first, but this type of cross over definitely falls into the whole defining moments of the modern age)

10 - The Clone Saga (really the beginning of the end)

Thoughts? Bring it on people, would love to get a few more top 10s . . .

I think the "Holy Grail" books are books that are still actively being pursued:

Here are a few:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 & #2

Albedo #2

Amazing Spider-Man #300

Uncle Scrooge #219

Ultimate Spider-Man #1

(that's all I can think of for now)

Don't know if these qualify as true Grails, because they are attainable (some at high cost) but:

1. Danger Girl 2 Ruby Red foil logo Smoking gun cover variant.

2. Witchblade 1 gold foil logo diamond Comics retailer incentive variant (signed by Turner or unsigned)

3. ASM 300

4. Hulk 340

5. Thor 337

6. Watchmen HC 1st print w/slipcase

"Danger Girl 2 Ruby Red foil logo Smoking gun cover variant."

That's a great cover. It appeals to the dog in me. grin.gif

And I will reluctantly add an Ultimate Spidey complete set to this list, because of the fairly high cost in obtaining them(as far as modern goes anyway), coupled with the high demand.

Geez Darth, nice avatar...theres women (me) and children here(Khaos). This is a family outfit. wink.gif Anyhow.... In no particular order I choose: Daredevil #181, ASM 300, TMNT 1, Watchmen 1, GI JOE 21, Dark Knight 1, Thor 337, Wolverine limited #1, The entire New Universe (as an example of what NOT to do), Crisis #8, Secret Wars #1..........Im sure theres more that Ill think of later.

...theres women (me) and children here(Khaos).

There's nothing like a woman that can appreciate another good looking woman. As for children, they need to get their anatomy lessons from somewhere other than peeking up classmate's skirts and peeping their relatives in the shower...eeewww..

btw, this is an adult oriented hobby and I firmly beleive that there is no one under the age of 16 active on these boards. wink.gif

This is a family outfit

Dysfunctional as it is, it may still bond enough to qualify as a family unit...in the loosest sense of the word smile.gif

I disagree with the "theres no one under 16 on these boards" but I too can appreciate a good looking woman if she has the self-worth not to objectify herself so blatently. Darth wouldnt be Darth without these lovely ladies adorning his avatar space. wink.gif

If these women don't mind objectifying themselves, I don't mind looking. grin.gif

Check out my avatar. Even she's trying to check herself out! tongue.gif

Yeah, its not the mens fault for looking.....its the self-esteemless women who crave money and attention and obviously dont have the brain power to do anything else. Oh well, maybe I need a buff hunk with his sack hanging to the ground? shocked.gif

Yeah, but some women, like the one in my Avatar(Jamie Pressley) get a kick out of it. It turns some of them on.

But I'm fairly certain most will regret it one day, like in 20 years when their kids stumble upon the photos( cringe ).

With the internet, there's not much you can hide.

Yeah, but there are other ways to make money if you're really determined.

I have a good friend(I mentioned this before on a Christmas thread) who is raising her daughter on her own because she made a mistake when she was 15. But she works 2 jobs, AND is trying to get a degree so that she can finally get a decent job. And this girl is gorgeous, meaning that she could do this kind of suff for easy money, even just regular modeling(not nude), but she dosen't. And the biggest reason is that she dosen't want her daughter to have that kind of life. She wants to set a good example. She won't even date because it'll take time away from her responsibilities, and she's only 22. frown.gif

That I admire. I help her out by doing repairs for her, and all that kind of maintenance. I've tried giving her money(I'd sell thousands worth of comics) but she refuses to take anything. I've tried and tried but she won't take it, and I don't want to insult her by constantly offering it. I spent Christmas eve with them, and it was great. How she keeps her high spirits, I'll never know. confused.gif

Man this thread got off topic. blush.gif

being a pretty woman myself wink.gif , I find that I get respected more by being the "good girl" as opposed to flaunting it. Would you rather have a girl like miss Pressley , assuming shes your typical "dumb blonde" with minimal personality, or a not so beautiful girl who you get along with and share the same intrests ,and yes ,actually trust them? Be honest.....In my experience, unless your 18, most men would rather have the second choice for a long term partner.

ROFL

Well I consider my girl pretty hot and she has all of the qualities you mention. The only reason why she is so good to me is because we've known each other for about 8 years and didn't get together until 2 years ago.

Of course, but that's a loaded question.

I want both, and to be honest I had both, but it ended because we were too young at the time and weren't ready for what we had. A case of bad timing. No matter how good you are together, young marriages are always a recipe for disaster.

For long term, the only way it would work is through having a real connection. That's obvious. Looks fade, and even while you're attractive, the physical eventually burns itself out. No matter how attractive your girl is, you're not going to go crazy everytime you see her, at least not for very long after the relationship starts.