• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what is the Modern Holy Grail? Top 10 Books?

53 posts in this topic

Rick,

I checked with Doug (Comic World) on what he's got in stock and he has 150 issues of DD 181 and only 10 of Spiderman 300. Personally, I have 4 of DD 181 and only 1 of Spiderman 300. That tells me the DD 181 is probably a lot more common and could be one of the reasons why a Super High Grade 300 is harder to find. - less to choose from?

The larger amount of DD 181 is also due to a significantly less guide value.

But DD 181 was heavily hoarded since the day it came out. I'm positive there are still some unopened cases around.

ASM #300 was more of a sleeper hit at the time if its arrival on the stands. By the time DD 181 came out, Miller's impact on the title was established and people were going nuts for them. Everyone saw 181 coming and hoarded accordingly. But with ASM 300, Tod M had just started his art chores on the run, and no one could have predicted the popularity of Venom, so this 1-2 combo resulted in a lot less initial hoarding of the book.

Although it might have something to do with the fact that Venom was the villan of the early 90s hence his first appearance is a super mega key. While 181 is arguably the crux of the Miller run, it can't be argued that DD is as popular as Spidey and that Elektra and Bullseye combined aren't as popular with the fans as Venom.

I would be interested to see the print run info on the two . . .

DAM

i'd disagree - again, without seeing the print runs, and going by purely anecdotal evidence of myself, i would wager that the best selling books from April, 1981, were X-Men, then Daredevil #2. EVERYBODY hoarded Daredevil 181. EVERYBODY. It was a total slam dunk lock.

But with ASM 300, Tod M had just started his art chores on the run, and no one could have predicted the popularity of Venom, so this 1-2 combo resulted in a lot less initial hoarding of the book.

Don't think this is true.

ASM has always been a red hot book and Todd had built up his rep on the Hulk before he moved to ASM. Also we are talking ASM #300, an anniversary issue with the first appearance of a new villain. There is no doubt that the book was massively hoarded.

The reason for less high grade copies than DD #181 is the black back cover, pure and simple.

The reason for less high grade copies than DD #181 is the black back cover, pure and simple.

I'm sure that plays a big role, and I do think that ASM 300 was hoarded as well, but keep in mind that there was no way to tell how popular this villain would be. There's a lot of villains and villain first appearances in Spidey, and it would be hit and miss to try to figure out which would be popular, and which wouldn't be. Hindsight is 20/20 in a case like this.

I would bet that the print run on ASM was higher. I would also bet that more ASM 300's were owned by children than DD 181's, especially in the 90's with the popularity of Venom among youngsters and collectors alike. This would definetly account for lesser HG copies.

Either way, paying big $ for a 9.8 of either of these issues is foolish. While there are a significantly less amount of ASM 300's in HG, I wouldn't doubt that there are still large stacks and hoards of this book, and a decent # that are 9.8 caliber.

Either way, paying big $ for a 9.8 of either of these issues is foolish

Agreed. There is no big bucks to be made on either book, its the quiet ones that get you.

Now where did my high grade copy of Power Pack #27 go.............. grin.gif