• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FINALLY !! This thread is .... UN-CLASSIFIED !!

28 posts in this topic

And so... after much patience.... and the the purchase of many copies of TBG...... I have finally located that which I was searching for !! :banana:

First.... a little back story.

I knew that in the mid 70's the TBG ran an art contest. It was called "The World's Ugliest Man" contest and people..... TBG subscribers.... were to send in their drawings....their artwork.... to the address listed ..... and winners would recieve fabulous prizes, as well as have their artwork printed in a future issue of TBG !!

Here is the wordage for the contest :whee:

uglycontest1_zpsa5b8e40b.jpg

uglycontest2_zpsd36b476b.jpg

Why was I searching for this issue of TBG ? Because my best friend at the time and I, who in 1975 were mere teenagers (15 and 16), entered this contest.... and BOTH got our entries published on the pages of TBG !!

The problem was.... once I remembered about the contest......in the year 2000+ :(

I had no clue as to what issue our artwork was published in. I began to search the internet databases...... and purchase whatever copies of TBG came up for sale on ebay that matched the timeframe.....which were NOT MANY.

I knew that the contest had something to do with Basil Wolverton and began my search thinking that issue # 186 was the contest issue... and that the winners must have been published a few months after that... so I began my search with that in mind.

TBG186_zpsc40acded.jpg

I was off by 2 years !! :o:sumo::mad:

TBG #186 had nothing to do with the contest art I was searching for. It was just a cover with art by comic artist Basil Wolverton. I was stymied :pullhair:

But then.... in a random purchase..... I landed this copy of TBG and unexpectedly came across, while thumbing the pages....... the contest winners... and my friends and my own entries in the contest !! :o I was searching almost 2 full years in the wrong area for what I was looking for. I had been searching the years 1977 - 78 feverishly..... when the answer I sought was 1975- 76 :facepalm:

001_zps01fe785f.jpg

Top 50 winners list..... and a word of advice for amateurs. And theres my friends and my name, our ages and where we lived in 1975 ..... almost 40 years ago !!! :)

uglycontest3_zps7e17a04b.jpg

uglycontest4_zps953cbebd.jpg

That is an awesome story! :applause:

And with a happy ending because I found what I was searching for !! :banana:

And now.... for your viewing enjoyment..... here are the top 24 published/printed UGLY MAN contest winners !! They are in no particular order. Neither I nor my friend were the grand prize winners... but I don't care about that..... we got ours printed !! :banana::whee::banana:

barerichardstoner_zps0b3dbcc6.jpg

baretomlynch2_zps5025794e.jpg

barecindylindsay_zps429ec34e.jpg

So you're a published artist? Woo Hoo,my Spike Mulligans are gaining value by the minute. (worship)

lollol

barecamstriewski_zpsf88678bb.jpg

bareanthonyarmendairz_zpsdec1ea19.jpg

barejimmcpherson_zps689954de.jpg

And now.... for your viewing enjoyment..... here are the top 24 published/printed UGLY MAN contest winners !! They are in no particular order. Neither I nor my friend were the grand prize winners... but I don't care about that..... we got ours printed !! :banana::whee::banana:

I see Bill Sienkiewicz entered too! Is that a ? lol

I see Bill Sienkiewicz entered too! Is that a ? lol

lol

The last one kinda looks like Nixon. lol

That's so funny that you said that. The judges (who's comments I have edited out to clearly show the artwork) said the exact same thing. I'll show that later.....

baremikemckinney_zpse89ba2b1.jpg

barejackdickason_zpsd177623b.jpg

barejerryburge_zps453675fc.jpg