• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Des Moines -- June 12-14, 2015

33 posts in this topic

Near Mint day one. Aiming for a NM+ Saturday. Didn't get to leave the booth but venue was looking good from what I could see. For deals, stop by booth 418 - say hello and tell me you're a boardie! I'll be the only guy in the booth with a beard. Free Divergence FCBD books for all. Free tshirt if you spend some dough.

I just don't see Des Moines drawing in enough people to warrant a 3-day show in June, no less.

Think about it -- not only are you paying ridiculous prices for tables, but a 3-day show means 2 (or 3) nights at a hotel, 3 days of buying food, 3 days of paying employees, 3 days of parking, etc... For what? How much are you expecting to make in 3 days in Iowa?

Wizard is clearly taking a shot that there are enough people in middle America to make a show viable for them in terms of ticket sales. Mind you, this is completely different than being viable for the dealers who'd do this show (which I suspect are few in number). Getting cosplayers to come and walk around, or Mom and Dad to bring the kids to wander around and get their face painted, sure. But getting a comic show in Des Moines that's going to be worth the $30 per day or $60 weekend pass is going to be a long shot. If you're a comic buyer make the drive to Chicago.

This pretty much summed up the show yesterday. If you went to the show looking for books it wasn't pretty. Quite a few people. A few decent artists. Had a good time BUT no books. Was looking to buy a mid grade hulk 181 or asm 129. I couldnt find one on the entire floor in any grade.

I agree on the super keys being non existent. With only about 12 comic dealers on the floor, I have heard all day long both days that we had the best booth for mid keys. Lots of guys coming back 3 times and buying each. Still have a lot of walking dead keys - graded and raw. We've had maybe 3 people asking seriously about 181 or 129. Locals are more conservative and not ponying up big dollars for one book. They are stretching their money that's for sure.

Shout out to YouMeChoose!

Hugely dissapointing I must say. Made the 2 1/2 hour drive yesterday only to be incredibly underwhelmed.

I agree. All dealers other than the three I made purchases from were jaw dropping expensive. Finally found a CGC 8.5 ASM 129. Was quoted 1600 with 'a little wiggle room.' I didn't even make an offer. With that said I do need to shout out to Rhymenoceros. Helped salvage a pretty disappointing weekend. Doubt I'll be back next year. Will just make the drive to Chicago.

Was good to meet you man. I'm sorry that was the view of the city that came across. From some of the vendors I talked to, the first time WW comes to a new city it's often like how it was. I've never been to a WW show until this weekend - in any aspect of buying or selling so I don't really have a basis on that. C2E2 is the only show I've been to annually as an attendee and it is a great time.

I do kind of hate that many people would have been pissed off if I and my buddy had not been there selling our stuff.. I know a handful of dealers in the area and NONE were there. The booth fee blew our smaller local shows so far out of the water that other than the guys that do every WW show, most the vendors were: The 4 main LCSs in the semi immediate area, miscellaneous novelty and plush products, or about 10 local non-comic booths. I know I would be disappointed in it if I had just been an attendee.

Now just as a Des Moines Resident, I think it was a decent first year, as we have never really had a con of any size here til now. the lack of quality vendors and smaller NUMBER of vendors really hurt it. Most vendors that talked to us were friendly enough with a few great dudes. There are some good local artists in artists alley and a few big comic names that came through.

Wish I could have made it to the Shatner panel. I did get to shake Michael Cudlitz's hand and chat a bit during my 15 mins of free time today since he didn't have a line when I walked by.

It would be awesome to have a con that size, with booth fees half the cost, and outlaw booths that have nothing to do with comics and pop culture, but des Moines isn't there yet and thats kind of dreaming..

TLDR: I hope our booth made the trip worth it for some. I wish the con could have been better for you guys - I really do. The city has so much to offer and I hope WWDSM grows and matures in following years.