• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do SA movie-Hype books cool off? Or just stop climbing?

27 posts in this topic

I'm actually not all together sure that the hype behind the book is all movie based. The Sinister Six was a pretty cool idea to pull off. Ditko's pencils are top notch in the book, with the various splash pages being pretty much without peer. Great, classic cover to boot.

really?

here's a snapshot of GPA for 2013 and 2014 for a 9.0

9uD3b2P.jpg

know what happened between the Nov 2013 sale and the Jan 2014 sale happened?

this trailer came out (on december 5 to be exact)

which featured the hints towards the appearance of the Sinister 6 in the ASM movie franchise,,,

seems like they had a pretty direct relation.

I stand corrected. Although I wasn't discounting the movie bump in an absolute manner. I was simply stating that I wasn't sure that ALL of the hype was based on movie hype/anticipation. It's a great book for what would seem to be many reasons.

Thanks for posting the data.

And I agree, I thought a few years back that ASM Annual 1 was undervalued, so I dont discount that some of the price "awakening" was just realization coming on the heels of the movie-hype that the book WAS important... not direct hype/speculation...

They all retreat, but never to their all time norms. A lot of times the buyers just refuse to take a 50% hit on a book and rather keep it which keeps supply in check with demand.

Never say never :) ASM 14, for example (12-13 years later,) can sell for 50% of the price (in 9.4) during original Spider-Man movie hype.

Lets see what happens to Hawkman #4 1st Zatanna.. It was going thru the roof with speculation on a Justice league dark film . Looks like that movie is off the calender. I bet it will hold some of the price increase because it is slightly undervalued but 500-1000 times guide i think not.

Another, more recent example, is Avengers 4 in 9.4/9.6 which has cratered.

9.6 has sold for as high as $69,500. The last one sold for $19,120

9.4 has sold for as high as $30,000 the last one sold for $11,353

Those books went down for different reasons though, having nothing to do with "movie hype".

-J.

looking at top grades on SA keys means

1) you are dealing with very few data points (maybe 2-3 sales in a year)

2) you are also having to contend with the impact of newly graded copies coming onto the market and affecting the other grades. Maybe that first 9.6 sold roe $70k when there was only 1 or two on census, but since that time additional copies showed up, decreasing its rarity, and the market adjusted.

Look at the 8.0 (lots more sales)

It was a $1000-$1500 book thru 2008 (with modest increase from 1000 to 1500 over the years).

which is interesting because they announced the movie mid-2008, and the book didnt start breaking $2k until almost a year later (Feb 2009)

From 2009 to the beginning of 2012 (or the end of 2011 if you prefer) the book had strong success staying over $2k and almost reaching $3k with the movie's release.

Since then it hasnt hit those highs, but has remained in the over $2k range, so it hasnt plummeted or receded back to pre-movie levels.

Spidey Annual #1 has always seemed like a book that should be worth more than it goes for. It won't keep all of the increase but I'd look for it to hold a bit more of it's value than the typical hype book.