• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best site/program for list of appearances by character?

9 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if there's a site like Comic Vine or a comic collection program like Comic Collector Live that allows you to see all appearances of a particular character? I'll list the 3 I've tried and hopefully someone will either point out a different one or tell me if it turns out I'm just doing something wrong.

Comic Vine - It definitely has a nice database of appearances however it's been my experience that if a character only appears in say 2 issues of a 100 issue series then sometimes it'll only show those 2 issues when clicking on the title on that character's page and other times it'll take you to the page showing all 100 issues of that title and you have to go through every single one yourself to find the 2 you actually want.

Comics DB - The exact same character in the exact same universe will be listed multiple ways. They also seem to list a lot of characters in an issue who never even appeared and were never even mentioned.

Comic Collector Live - I have not found a way to even search by character unless the title is already listed as part of my collection. Not to mention that they have Captain Marvel (Billy Batson - DC) and Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers - Marvel) listed as the same character when clicking on "Captain Marvel". In addition, neither Captain Marvel (Danvers) or Carol Danvers are listed as characters in Captain Marvel (2014) #4, her own series.

First Appearance Thread. In this thread is a link to CGC's list.

I use Comic Vine and Wikipedia.

I was surprised you were the first person to mention this. There is an actual Wikipedia article for first appearances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_appearances_in_Marvel_Comics_publications

First Appearance Thread. In this thread is a link to CGC's list.

I use Comic Vine and Wikipedia.

I was surprised you were the first person to mention this. There is an actual Wikipedia article for first appearances.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_appearances_in_Marvel_Comics_publications

Those are useful for first appearances, but pretty useless for all appearances.

I don't think there is any single source that is perfect since they're all built by people.

Thank you for all the responses. Looks like the best bet is to use multiple ones and cross reference and hope that at least one of them is right.

At least my local comic shop buys comics in case I make any wrong purchases lol.