• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Version of Comics - more/less desirable?

87 posts in this topic

less, but only because its not "the original", not because of the country. If there were a UK original comic, that had a US alternate version, the UK one would be more desirable.
This would be a matter of opinion, not a fact. To some people Pence copies are more desirable because they're scarcer and were printed at the same time and to others it doesn't matter either way.

How some people value them is subjective and opinion, I agree. However, that they are US comics "also" printed in the UK is a fact.

You really shouldn't say these things if you don't know the facts and saying that pence copies were printed in the UK is a fact is completely untrue.

Which writers and artists do you require addresses for? Sounds stalkerish.

lol , 1/10, for the attempt anyway

0/10 for ignoring the other comments that proved you were wrong :baiting:

Just for clarification;

There were two types of UK Marvel comics in the 70's and 80's:

1. Pence copies of US comics. These were printed at the same time and on the same presses as their US counterparts then shipped to the UK. The interior and back cover of the books is identical. The only difference in the front cover is that pence replace cents and for a period of time, the cover banner read ; MARVEL ALL COLOUR COMICS rather than ; MARVEL COMICS GROUP. These are the books being discussed here.

2. larger format (often) Black and White reprints with (mostly) different or altered covers. These are not the subject of this thread.

In your opinion, should the UK version of a book be more or less desirable than its US counterpart? And by that measure be worth more due to the lower print run?

What do you think?

If it's not Scottish, it's CR@P!

banana-with-kilt-smiley-emoticon.gif

Is the 1/2 - 1/3 price thing still an issue? I thought that had changed as these comics are being pushed as rarer versions now.

It's typically around two thirds in my experience (and I sell them regularly) and their popularity has been and still is I creasing over the last few years. There used to be quite a stigma to them which wasn't deserved and I used to avoid buying them for resale but I'm happy to buy them in for resale now at around two thirds of what I'd pay for cents copies that I'm buying in.

In your opinion, should the UK version of a book be more or less desirable than its US counterpart? And by that measure be worth more due to the lower print run?

What do you think?

Will you be wearing a kilt if you attend London SuperCon again? :o

What do you think?

Haggis

What do you think?

Haggis

That's Scottish and .

:sick:

What do you think?

:eek:

What do you think?

Nay.

You really shouldn't say these things if you don't know the facts and saying that pence copies were printed in the UK is a fact is completely untrue.

I am and was aware of the way the were delivered, but was unsure. I did not presume to know for sure, nor bother to look it up, because it had nothing to do with point. Which is why i chose my ords specifically, in relation to what i was actually saying. My point remains correct. I am not going to play word games with people dodging the point just for the sake of arguing.

you prove me right, the point is that the UK comics are the alternates, and that they are US comics, that is a fact that no amount of rhetoric can change.

And, as already explained once, directed to the comment that implied it was the American-ness that made the more valuable, I pointed out that it is the default/standard-ness that does so. Alternates can be valued more by some, but as already stated by others, not by the majority.

you prove me right, the point is that the UK comics are the alternates, and that they are US comics, that is a fact that no amount of rhetoric can change.

less, but only because its not "the original", not because of the country. If there were a UK original comic, that had a US alternate version, the UK one would be more desirable.
This would be a matter of opinion, not a fact. To some people Pence copies are more desirable because they're scarcer and were printed at the same time and to others it doesn't matter either way.

How some people value them is subjective and opinion, I agree. However, that they are US comics "also" printed in the UK is a fact.

Er, I don't think so :insane:

Unless you are talking about something else hm

See the bolded bit above - that's you being wrong :whistle:

notice how the word also is in quotes. That's the point of the sentence, you can put whatever word you want in for printing, its irrelevant.

That's you not understanding, dodging the point, being mad, playing word games, arguing for the sake of arguing, etc

still 1/10, but keep at it. You can have a whole side conversation, and have your buddies agree with you, all while not actually discussing the point.

:)

notice how the word also is in quotes. That's the point of the sentence, you can put whatever word you want in for printing, its irrelevant.

That's you not understanding, dodging the point, being mad, playing word games, arguing for the sake of arguing, etc

still 1/10, but keep at it. You can have a whole side conversation, and have your buddies agree with you, all while not actually discussing the point.

:)

No, he is taking exactly the same meaning from your post as I have. You were saying that it's a fact that pence copies were printed in the UK. At least that is what it certainly appears that you were saying, if you meant something different then you seem to have phrased it strangely.

They are US comics "also" made available in the UK.

They are US comics "also" sold in the UK.

They are US comics "also" in shops in the UK.

here you go, three more versions you can also dodge the point on.

They are US comics "also" made available in the UK.

They are US comics "also" sold in the UK.

They are US comics "also" in shops in the UK.

here you go, three more versions you can also dodge the point on.

This is what you said "However, that they are US comics "also" printed in the UK is a fact."

They are not printed in the UK - that is not fact