• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Covers

10 posts in this topic

So I've acquired my first double cover comic. Wasn't really looking for one. The outer cover is an 8.5, I think, and the inner one, as you would guess, is in better shape, probably a 9.0.

It's a Journey Into Mystery 124 fwiw.

How does CGC treat double covers? Is there any added collectibility for a double cover? Myself, I'm not that turned on by printing anomalies, variant prices, or the like. Is it better to leave the two covers intact? Go to the 2nd cover?

I don't know if I want to get the book slabbed anyhow, but if I did, I'm curious how to treat the book. I feel like leaving my JIMs and Thors unslabbed, just cuz.

Anyhow, thoughts and insights are welcome. :busy:

Generally, CGC will grade the book using the highest cover. If the exterior is a 8.0, and the interior is a 9.0, it will get a 9.0, unless there are defects in the interior pages that reduce the grade. You can get a book that is graded a 7.0, but the notes say outer cover 8.0, inner cover 9.0.

Absolutely keep both covers intact. there is a small niche that will pay a nice premium for these books.

I'm glad to find this question and responses, as I wondered the same. I like double covers but haven't found many - just around 1 for every 2000 comics I own, and given that I've looked through at least 5 comics for every one I've bought, the incidence may be less than 1 in 10000.

Only two of mine are high grade enough that I'm thinking of grading them. One is an Iron Man 55 whose outside cover I graded at 8.5 and the inside at 9.4. (Thank you Guardians of the Galaxy movie) The other is very odd. It's a squarebound DC romance, Young Romance 198. The odd part is that there's nothing to keep the outside cover attached to the inside one. I think the adhesive is applied to the inside newsprint pages, then it's glued to the inside of the first cover, and the second cover is along for the ride with no attachment. There's nothing to keep the second cover on, but and I think this copy was purchased and set aside until sold.