• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Enormous ! How big will it get ?
3 3

4,716 posts in this topic

I sold a raw EoSV 2 yesterday - buyer paid immediately, then contacted me for a refund because he would be overdrawing his bank account and "didnt' want to pay that much". BAN.

eBay does *nothing* to protect sellers, and there are no repercussions for bidders with bad behavior. IMO, it's all been downhill ever since eBay removed the option of negative feedback for buyers.

Buyers often ask for feedback after a transaction - my response is always, "Why? It has zero bearing on your ability to purchase on eBay".

If I do leave feedback for a buyer, it's always just, "Paid. Thanks.".

I'm sorry - you want a medal because you actually funded your purchase...? Congratulations!

rantrant

I sold a raw EoSV 2 yesterday - buyer paid immediately, then contacted me for a refund because he would be overdrawing his bank account and "didnt' want to pay that much". BAN.

eBay does *nothing* to protect sellers, and there are no repercussions for bidders with bad behavior. IMO, it's all been downhill ever since eBay removed the option of negative feedback for buyers.

Buyers often ask for feedback after a transaction - my response is always, "Why? It has zero bearing on your ability to purchase on eBay".

I'm sorry - you want a medal because you actually funded your purchase...? Congratulations!

rantrant

I'm sensing some bitterness... lol

rantrant

I'm sure I would be full of bitterness if I was a seller on Ebay.

It is out of control. Buyers have tremendous power it seems.

I get aggravated myself, and I'm not even personally involved. Some of the stories are just so frustrating for me, much less for people specifically involved who put food on the table for their family by selling these issues.

Bid retractions are just uncalled for.

If you can enter a price, then confirm that price a second time, it should be binding.

It shouldn't even be an option.

rantrant

Ha - more just general overall frustration with eBay and how they constantly handcuff sellers while increasing fees. It's rather ridiculous IMO.

I honestly think bidder behavior is much worse now than it was 10 years ago - primarily because the bad bidders have learned just how much they can get away with.

See a book listed as a VG that you think might be much nicer than that? Go ahead and bid VG/FN prices - then get the book, inspect, and return if it doesn't meet your lofty hopes. It's not *your* fault if the book is actually VG as described....and, hey, return shipping is now on the seller. No reason not to take a chance! :facepalm:

I had a bidder return a NM book because it has one small spine stress that measured 1/4". He told me that, based on "what he had read online", the spine stress could be no larger than 1/8".

Glad the internet has made everyone an expert grader all of a sudden.

rantrantrantrantrantrantrantrant

Now I am on a roll!

rantrant

Ha - more just general overall frustration with eBay and how they constantly handcuff sellers while increasing fees. It's rather ridiculous IMO.

I honestly think bidder behavior is much worse now than it was 10 years ago - primarily because the bad bidders have learned just how much they can get away with.

See a book listed as a VG that you think might be much nicer than that? Go ahead and bid VG/FN prices - then get the book, inspect, and return if it doesn't meet your lofty hopes. It's not *your* fault if the book is actually VG as described....and, hey, return shipping is now on the seller. No reason not to take a chance! :facepalm:

I had a bidder return a NM book because it has one small spine stress that measured 1/4". He told me that, based on "what he had read online", the spine stress could be no larger than 1/8".

Glad the internet has made everyone an expert grader all of a sudden.

rantrantrantrantrantrantrantrant

Now I am on a roll!

Preach on brutha! :applause:

I've never had anyone retract a bid or refuse to pay on eBay, but I don't sell much volume, and I have never really been in the business of selling 'hot' books so maybe that lessens my exposure? I've never had anything returned either.

My only problems have been caused by the USPS, but considering the number of items I've mailed, if I'm being honest, those problems are few and far between.

I do agree that eBay is all about the buyer - seller's are definitely second class citizens! I've been saying for years that eBay is incredibly poorly positioned by almost every metric outside of user base. I can't believe they haven't been toppled by some start up or already established player, but I have to imagine it will still happen one day.

I've never had anyone retract a bid or refuse to pay on eBay, but I don't sell much volume, and I have never really been in the business of selling 'hot' books so maybe that lessens my exposure? I've never had anything returned either.

My only problems have been caused by the USPS, but considering the number of items I've mailed, if I'm being honest, those problems are few and far between.

I do agree that eBay is all about the buyer - seller's are definitely second class citizens! I've been saying for years that eBay is incredibly poorly positioned by almost every metric outside of user base. I can't believe they haven't been toppled by some start up or already established player, but I have to imagine it will still happen one day.

Ebay have put themselves in a prime position to get the rug swept out from under them. All it would take is an Amazon or other big player to start offering auctions with a 3-5% fee.

Ebay have put themselves in a prime position to get the rug swept out from under them. All it would take is an Amazon or other big player to start offering auctions with a 3-5% fee.

I know Yahoo tried, I believe Amazon tried auctions at one point as well.

I work in software, I still can't believe how shoddy eBay's system and user experience are. The margins are pretty damn good, but you wouldn't see much money at all until you developed and established, large, and active user base - until then you'd burn through capital really quickly. Still - there are much more competitive spaces with far, far more players - I currently work in payments, and that market's margin is about 1/3rd of eBay's 10%, though granted, it is a bit easier to develop and build.

I still hold out hope for a better solution.

Mycomicshop auctions are great btw.

I should consider giving them a try - I never have. Honestly, from looking at their set up (but again, not using) that experience looks pretty clunky to me as well. Even more so than the eBay experience.

This is the reason I never check their auctions out as well.

It is just not a good set up.