• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW

57 posts in this topic

I'm curious to see what action they get on this. There's a 9.2 white copy they have up for 27k that looks awfully sharp.

That was also a Pedigree copy that went for 20k a few months ago. I was the under-bidder by $100.

Someone must have tried to upgrade the 9.2 and came up a little short. No sense in buying a book like that just to flip it in grade a couple months later and pay a 10% cut with no movie momentum.

I'm curious to see what action they get on this. There's a 9.2 white copy they have up for 27k that looks awfully sharp.

That was also a Pedigree copy that went for 20k a few months ago. I was the under-bidder by $100.

Someone did you a favor....

Since everyone knows it was a 9.4 that sold for 43K less than 2 years ago, does anyone think they will get that 150k?

Great question, buddy. $150k no. $75-80k perhaps is my best guess. If I'm the seller Id have a hard time saying no to a $30k profit.

Looking back, yes, I would be just as happy with an 8.5 or a 9.0. It was for me and not for flipping.

Looking back, yes, I would be just as happy with an 8.5 or a 9.0. It was for me and not for flipping.

I realize that based on our conversation. The ? you have to ask is..where do these uber HG books have to go? Usually the answer is dooooown!

I'd imagine the owner of the other 9.6 might feel slighted now having to share the top spot with a questionable 9.6. Not sure having that copy sell for $150k would make any difference if I owned the other one as there may not be other fools left to pay that mucht. Then again...

What that spot on the front cover above the "S" in Fantastic?

Almost looks like a water spot. Maybe it's on the slab? (shrug) (But it looks like it's on the book.)

Man, I get hosed on grades for the tiniest stains, and that's a 9.6. That's nucking futz :screwy:

Books like this always make me question CGCs integrity. Like come on, it has 2 sharp corners and I can't tell if the upper right has a faint corner bend or not.

It has been previously discussed that the "grading standards" differ from the Gold/Silver Age to the more recent (possibly why certain graders only grade within certain ages).

If that's true it stands to reason books published more recently would grade lower than much older books in the same/similar condition. Whether that is to account for their advance in age past the more recent books or the lack of publishing quality at the time of production (or both) I don't know, but if you subscribe to the theory this book would be a prime example for the reinforcement of that notion.

Yes, a near mint SA book is definitely different than a near mint modern book. I believe it has to do with the quality at production, not different CGC graders. You can't grade a SA book against year 2014 printing technology, that doesn't make any sense. You can only grade SA books relative to the best possible printing of a SA book.

2c:preach:

It's a beautiful book no matter what the number is on the label.

I think so, too. Even though it's probably been pressed multiple times, the cover hasn't shrunk, the staples haven't impacted, the ink arrival date hasn't gotten runny. The colors look bright, the edges sharp, and there's not a crease to be seen. Plus, it's from a cool collection filled with spectacular late fifties and early sixties books.

Of course it won't sell at anything close to the asking price.

The ? you have to ask is..where do these uber HG books have to go? Usually the answer is dooooown!

For me, I wouldn't consider an FF5 in 9.2 to be in uber high grade. I also see no reason to assume that it's certain to head down in price. It's still one of the most important Marvel comics of all.

I think so, too. Even though it's probably been pressed multiple times, the cover hasn't shrunk, the staples haven't impacted, the ink arrival date hasn't gotten runny. The colors look bright, the edges sharp, and there's not a crease to be seen. Plus, it's from a cool collection filled with spectacular late fifties and early sixties books.

That's a "Maybe when Nic Cage gets drunk" price.

That's a "Maybe when Nic Cage gets drunk" price.

Haha. If a bottle of Courvosier and an 8 ball show up on Nic Cages doorstep, that book is good as gone.