• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sold and Closed

61 posts in this topic

I can see both sides. As a collector, who you buy from is entirely your decision. If someone in this thread said something you deem unethical, and you never buy a book from them again, you are certainly entitled to do so. That said, I don't think there would be anything wrong with sending this to Matt for a pre-screen. CGC is great when it comes to being empathetic if you feel you have been wronged, and Matt could certainly shed some light on why they feel the book is trimmed. It certainly appears too close to call to this guy.

It only appears so because most of the newbies in this thread couldn't detect a trim job from a hole in the ground. There's no doubt whatsoever this book has been trimmed.

Ahhhh, the classic newbie argument. Out of 70+ submissions in the past year, I have not had a single one come back trimmed, so I would beg to differ. However, perhaps Ive just been real lucky. Would you care to elaborate? Maybe instead of bashing people you could help educate as I am certainly willing to listen.

I wasn't referring to you :shrug:

Looking at both the raw scan and the slabbed photo, the book displays all the characteristics of being trimmed. It shouldn't have come as a surprise to the OP that it came back in a purple label slab, nor would anyone capable of detecting a trimmed book openly question whether this book was trimmed or not.

It's no different than the guys who keep selling CGC books where they profess to not understanding why the books graded as low as they did and as such, they claim, the books must be undergraded. They're not - the seller just doesn't know how to grade :gossip:

It does appear a little suspicious and that corner is certainly razor sharp. I have a HOS 92 up for sale on ebay with a corner or two about as sharp. My copy got a blue label 8.5. After gazing at the trimmed JIM for a good hour, I could not spot any inconsistencies between the raw supposedly unrestored copies and the trimmed one. I was expecting to see the back of Thor's cape or a button on his breastplate be a little smaller. The items along the bottom edge actually appear to be larger, and thus better centered on the trimmed book. Sometimes this can be the case if the top of the book is off center, and again, this does not seem to be the case. The point I attempted to make in my prior post is that there are issues that you could argue in favor of or against the book being trimmed. To say its a 100% done deals either way is ridiculous, regardless of the seniority someone has had on this board.

It's a beautiful book either way and if The lucky purchaser foolishly decides to let it go down the road, I'll be back in line again.

Sniper handled this correctly so all the bashing is unwarranted. If he was going to try to deceive. He'd have just deslabbed it and tried again. Kudos to him for just selling it as described and moving along.

Cheers

I can see both sides. As a collector, who you buy from is entirely your decision. If someone in this thread said something you deem unethical, and you never buy a book from them again, you are certainly entitled to do so. That said, I don't think there would be anything wrong with sending this to Matt for a pre-screen. CGC is great when it comes to being empathetic if you feel you have been wronged, and Matt could certainly shed some light on why they feel the book is trimmed. It certainly appears too close to call to this guy.

It only appears so because most of the newbies in this thread couldn't detect a trim job from a hole in the ground. There's no doubt whatsoever this book has been trimmed.

There was no doubt whatsoever the JIM 83 was trimmed. What color label is it sitting in now?

It does appear a little suspicious and that corner is certainly razor sharp. I have a HOS 92 up for sale on ebay with a corner or two about as sharp. My copy got a blue label 8.5. After gazing at the trimmed JIM for a good hour, I could not spot any inconsistencies between the raw supposedly unrestored copies and the trimmed one. I was expecting to see the back of Thor's cape or a button on his breastplate be a little smaller. The items along the bottom edge actually appear to be larger, and thus better centered on the trimmed book. Sometimes this can be the case if the top of the book is off center, and again, this does not seem to be the case. The point I attempted to make in my prior post is that there are issues that you could argue in favor of or against the book being trimmed. To say its a 100% done deals either way is ridiculous, regardless of the seniority someone has had on this board.

I've bought quite a few CGC trimmed books for my collection, and I really don't see anything on the bottom edge that says trimmed to me (shrug) .... looking at the scan both the bottom right corner and the bottom left bindery corner appear to have significant blunting. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I wish I'd had the funds to get this book.

Just pointing out that metro has a lot of seniority, and, if I understand sniper, they sold him the book as untrimmed. Is that correct? If so, it was sniper who got screwed here and no one else.

If this is correct, Metro will take the book back BUT they do not pay for return shipping or the cost of slabbing. I know this for a fact because it has happened to me on a book that came back as trimmed. Full disclosure - this is stated in their policy so it is not hidden. There is no time limit on the return by the way.

Ok, point taken. I didn't mean to imply metro did anything nefarious here, just that sniper took a loss. (And, again, that assumes that sniper wasn't told it was trimmed when he bought it. If he was, that changes everything.)

Ok, point taken. I didn't mean to imply metro did anything nefarious here, just that sniper took a loss. (And, again, that assumes that sniper wasn't told it was trimmed when he bought it. If he was, that changes everything.)

Wasn't assuming you were digging Metro, just wanted to share my experience. the book I bought was sold as unrestored. I even asked specifically if it was unrestored. I don't necessarily agree with their policy but it is what it is and id available for all buyers to read if choose to. They missed the trimming on my book or CGC labeled it as trimmed when it was not.

Regardless, I returned the book in the PLOD to Metro - was refunded my purchase price and lost my CGC cost and return shipping fees. Metro relisted the book (de-slabbed) but listed it as trimmed.

Wonder if it can be cracked/pressed and slipped past CGC and get a blue label? hm

Book was pressed by Joey, not sure if he caught it or not, I didn't ask for him to check trimming or not to forward it to CGC if it was trimmed or purple.

I'm wondering though if it is possible for a Matt or Joey to remove, minimize or press out an edge to look like it had not been trimmed,or remove whatever trim indicators CGC might be using... besides an "opinion"

Thanks for showing the kinds of things that you believe would be "OK" to do to deliberately try to deceive CGC so that you could sell a trimmed book as untrimmed without giving a damn about the collector who will end up buying the book.

It's always good to know who shouldn't be trusted around here.

My intent has never been to deceive anyone thats why I had it slabbed to begin with before selling it here on the boards!

A couple of boardies were kind enough to point what they thought there was trimming. Was I disappointed when it returned a PLOD? Yes, was I surprised? A little, it looks great in hand.

I also noted in the PMG thread beforehand that if I sold it I always take back any book and if they had sent it in to CGC and received a PLOD I will always refund the book, all shipping and CGC fees!

When someone mentioned about pressing, and re-subbing, my question was if an experienced restorer like Matt or Joey could make a cut edge look like it was not, a purely hypothetical question. A question I don't know the answer to, it was as simple as that.

Where you get the idea that I'm "OK" to deliberately deceive CGC so I can sell trimmed books as untrimmed is beyond me :screwy: I sell mostly raw and hardly ever use CGC unless its for my own collection.

And you can take that last comment and shove it back in your blank where it came from.

Sorry Garry, but this is a misunderstanding. Take it from me - Val is honest to a fault.

This book was bought back in the day when they were using the old grading system,

It was sold to a close friend of mine as a "38" thats an equivalent to a (9.5)

Was trimming disclosed ? No (I would assume Metro probably missed it)

Did he pay top $ at the time? Yes

Was my friend surprised it came back PLOD ? Yes

Would I try and and crack and sell as a untrimmed raw? Never! My reputation means everything to me.

Did we eat it and move on? Absolutely!! and would again in a heart beat.

Wonder if it can be cracked/pressed and slipped past CGC and get a blue label? hm

Book was pressed by Joey, not sure if he caught it or not, I didn't ask for him to check trimming or not to forward it to CGC if it was trimmed or purple.

I'm wondering though if it is possible for a Matt or Joey to remove, minimize or press out an edge to look like it had not been trimmed,or remove whatever trim indicators CGC might be using... besides an "opinion"

Thanks for showing the kinds of things that you believe would be "OK" to do to deliberately try to deceive CGC so that you could sell a trimmed book as untrimmed without giving a damn about the collector who will end up buying the book.

My intent has never been to deceive anyone thats why I had it slabbed to begin with before selling it here on the boards!

A couple of boardies were kind enough to point what they thought there was trimming. Was I disappointed when it returned a PLOD? Yes, was I surprised? A little, it looks great in hand.

I also noted in the PMG thread beforehand that if I sold it I always take back any book and if they had sent it in to CGC and received a PLOD I will always refund the book, all shipping and CGC fees!

When someone mentioned about pressing, and re-subbing, my question was if an experienced restorer like Matt or Joey could make a cut edge look like it was not, a purely hypothetical question. A question I don't know the answer to, it was as simple as that.

Where you get the idea that I'm "OK" to deliberately deceive CGC so I can sell trimmed books as untrimmed is beyond me :screwy: I sell mostly raw and hardly ever use CGC unless its for my own collection.

And you can take that last comment and shove it back in your blank where it came from.

Sorry Garry, but this is a misunderstanding. Take it from me - Val is honest to a fault.

And I'll vouch for Val as well. (thumbs u

This has really gotten out of hand.

Yes, and that was my point. It's dangerous to deal in absolutes when all you have to stand on is someone else's opinion.

I would 100% agree. Interesting.

Not actually knowing him myself, I'd always trust your judgement, Andy.

That being the case then please accept my public apology, Val. It seems I misunderstood the intent behind your post. The way I read it was that you were considering that line of reasoning for future comics or as a possibility for the purchaser of this book. If I misread your intentions then my earlier post directed at you was unjustified and again, I apologise for that.