• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RESULTS: CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 1

50 posts in this topic

The "flaking" on the spine was production. I had 3 copies of that book and submitted the nicest one. They all had that same issue.

I always hated the idea of production flaws not counting in grading. A flaw is a flaw is a flaw. That being said, are there any suggestions on how one can tell if defects like that are from handling/reading or production? I am not complaining but seriously want to learn how to grade more accurately. Thanks.

I was pretty sure CGC didn't deduct much if at all for that sort of ink cracking on the spine of a modern book, but wasn't sure if it would still get a 9.6 with the spine tick on the back.

The Archie doesn't grade doesn't really surprise me as I've seen other CGC 3.5s that weak, particularly with GA, but if it was on ebay as a raw 3.5, I'd think the seller was a pretty loose grader.

I'm resisting loosening my grades for round two - I'll probably be off in the other direction lol

I just dont understand how that book is a 9.6
im at a loss as well all could think was page qty. but i thought that would be noted and I have never seen that book to know production issues.. but this is FUN ! I went 9.2 and really thought it was under that.

The "flaking" on the spine was production. I had 3 copies of that book and submitted the nicest one. They all had that same issue.

Why didn't you mention that before we all graded it?

Everybody is looking at the same pictures, therefore all have the same advantages and disadvantages.

The things that I will let you guys know is if there's a popped staple or detached centerfold. That info will be given right at the beginning of the round when I post the photos.

Hope that helps ease the pain. :foryou:

That one tic on the back kept me from going 9.6, I figured the spine cracks were not from handling since there were no other signs of wear that would warrant that spine wear, so I figured it was production related. I almost went 9.6 cause that tic was the only real defect, but it just seemed too big a tic for me to give it a 9.6!

That one tic on the back kept me from going 9.6, I figured the spine cracks were not from handling since there were no other signs of wear that would warrant that spine wear, so I figured it was production related. I almost went 9.6 cause that tic was the only real defect, but it just seemed too big a tic for me to give it a 9.6!

I had the same problem with the book: that stress mark was just too big for a 9.6. It was otherwise a very nice book, but that stress mark had me at 9.4.

I did guess 3.5 on the Archie #50.

:cloud9:

Part of the skill in a grading contest is having an understanding of how CGC is likely to treat certain defects. Even then they aren't always consistent, but these sort of contests are about guessing GCG's grade on a given book, not what you, I or anyone else would give it. That's the challenge, as one has to first estimate a grade based only on a scan, and then try to figure out how CGC may differ, if at all. There seem to be the usual suspects in these contests who have an uncanny ability to peg the CGC grade, all the more impressive when you see the variance they sometimes give in the same grade.

4.0 Really?

VS.

CGC 4.0

Part of the skill in a grading contest is having an understanding of how CGC is likely to treat certain defects. Even then they aren't always consistent, but these sort of contests are about guessing GCG's grade on a given book, not what you, I or anyone else would give it. That's the challenge, as one has to first estimate a grade based only on a scan, and then try to figure out how CGC may differ, if at all. There seem to be the usual suspects in these contests who have an uncanny ability to peg the CGC grade, all the more impressive when you see the variance they sometimes give in the same grade.

4.0 Really?

VS.

CGC 4.0

I don't care if that was a "production defect". No right to be graded a 9.6. Remind me to never buy a CGC modern. :P

4.0 Really?

VS.

CGC 4.0

I don't care if that was a "production defect". No right to be graded a 9.6. Remind me to never buy a CGC modern. :P

How do you really feel about it??!! :baiting:

4.0 Really?

VS.

CGC 4.0

How do you really feel about it??!! :baiting:

lol

If I were to list that book as a raw on ebay, as a 9.6........ I would be dealing with an opened case, return, and negative FB.

Even if I listed it as a slabbed CGC 9.6, I would be dealing with a return because the buyer never bothered to look at the picture. :(

Everybody is looking at the same pictures, therefore all have the same advantages and disadvantages.

The things that I will let you guys know is if there's a popped staple or detached centerfold. That info will be given right at the beginning of the round when I post the photos.

Hope that helps ease the pain. :foryou:

Popped staple.. Inform us.

Production wear.. We gotta guess!

:juggle:

C'mon guys. These two fellows are nice enough to host this contest, there's plenty of prizes and we didn't have to pay an entry fee. I missed both books by two grades, but I know there's plenty of comics left to judge. Just like in real life, no one is going to sit there and point out what is or isn't a flaw on each and every book. Sometimes when we submit books, we will get the grade we had pegged. Sometimes they will come in higher than anticipated. Sometimes they will come in lower. There's no sense in whining about it. Move onto the next one. Somebody has to win this thing and the free information here is invaluable.

C'mon guys. These two fellows are nice enough to host this contest, there's plenty of prizes and we didn't have to pay an entry fee. I missed both books by two grades, but I know there's plenty of comics left to judge. Just like in real life, no one is going to sit there and point out what is or isn't a flaw on each and every book. Sometimes when we submit books, we will get the grade we had pegged. Sometimes they will come in higher than anticipated. Sometimes they will come in lower. There's no sense in whining about it. Move onto the next one. Somebody has to win this thing and the free information here is invaluable.

Whining about grades is a long standing ritual in grading contest result threads, some might actually say it is the secondary purpose of such contests. Where is your respect for tradition? :sumo:

Whining about grades is a long standing ritual in grading contest result threads, some might actually say it is the secondary purpose of such contests. Where is your respect for tradition? :sumo:

lol

Whine away, fellas! That's pretty much the only joy that sckao and I get out of this. lol