• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Americon 2014 - Canton Ohio - Pictures - Jim Steranko & Darryl Banks

11 posts in this topic

My wife and I just got back from the Canton All-Americon 2014 which was billed as a Comic - Toy - Art show. The head guest were Jim Steranko and Darryl Banks (of Green Lantern fame). Doors opened at 11:00 and we got there at 11:30 and it was starting to fill up since it was a small hall. We worked our way back to get in line to get some stuff signed by Jim and here is some pictures of the man himself and the hall:

4_zpsf713d44d.jpg

5_zpsc4cb7560.jpg

6_zpseb6bce43.jpg

7_zpse78eff58.jpg

The line moved pretty quickly but Jim was spending a good 5 minutes either signing or talking about past projects with fans. A guy brought in a cool Raiders of the Lost Ark game that Jim had designed the cover for and it was sweet seeing his reaction. I asked Jim if I could take a picture with him and he quoted Bogart and said we would always have this moment. Pretty cool way to say no direct pictures (My wife sneaked some pictures of him signing books) It was only $10 to get something signed so I got the following stuff signed from my collection or stuff he had available:

3_zps640e6011.jpg

1_zpsfa171248.jpg

2_zps1edea161.jpg

We ended up wondering the room looking at some sweet books and I completely forgot to take some booth pictures other than this guy that was selling a bunch of original art. I know next to nothing about OA so if you guys see anything you need let me know - I've got his card.

11_zpsfb67bf18.jpg

10_zps2136dbd3.jpg

9_zps100efbed.jpg

I spent a lot of my money on the cool Steranko stuff but I was able to find the following books at some nice prices. I think I paid $10 for the Doctor Strange 169 and the low grade ASM 50 was $55. Can't remember on the Groot - maybe $15 in VF. The room had some sweet deals like a VF ASM 194 for $60 but I just plain ran out of money and time. It was my first Con where I actively looked for deals and I can see why people do it - definitely a rush.

16_zps2d028b45.jpg

And the last item blew me away. A guy had a nice batch of books under a case and I couldn't see the prices. He had a Hawkman 1 in mid-grade that looked nice so I asked him to take it out and under it was a Hawkman 4. The Hawkman 1 was a little steep but he wanted $40 for the Hawkman 4!! I would have pretty much taken a FR copy at that price but it looks to be in the FN range. I looked it over and asked him if he would go down to $35 for it. I really don't know why I didn't just grab it and run but I just felt like he would take $35. He took it and my shaking hands passed over the money in a second. I've never owned one before so it will be a thrill to read it.

17_zpsfeec87ff.jpg

We just heard about the show this morning and I'm glad we went. I went to Chicago Con last year and it was a whole different type of show so it was nice to see a different type of show. Definetely more deals to be had at the smaller show and I really enjoyed being able to talk to Jim about his style and past projects.

Thanks for looking. I didn't see any names of shops I recognized but did anyone else make it to the show?

I did see a cute Hawk Woman walking around and there was a ton of Deadpool and Sci-Fi Military guys walking around. I didn't take any cos-play pictures except for this cool Catwoman. She had to be 6'4" in heels! I thought she was going to do a action pose so I did a Joker face and just ended looking like a weirdo. Oh well - I had fun.

12_zps2b575627.jpg

Poor Daryl Banks. He was sitting next to Steranko's long table and no one knew who he was. I went up and shook his hand and said I enjoyed his work on Green Lantern in the 90s and he said he has currently doing work for games and toys but always enjoys coming to comic cons. Very nice guy but did not see much action.

Steranko is great, but definitely a talker. It's key to budget plenty of time for his line. You could be 10th in line and still wait 45 minutes or more.

I'm not a signature collector but it would seem half the reason for waiting in line would be to spend a few minutes with a creator you admire - so that's cool.

It's also nice that Steranko still has a signature that needs no explanation as to whose it is.