• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Somewhat OT: Justice League cartoon

24 posts in this topic

I read that Warren Ellis wrote the episode of the Justice League cartoon that aired this past Saturday night. I missed the first 8 minutes, including the credits, so I couldn't confirm it, but it felt like one of his stories, concerning nanotechnology and aliens, with a touch of current events. It was pretty entertaining for a network TV cartoon, though the animation was predictably crude, and it was great seeing so many characters animated. I don't know if it's like that on every episode, but we had a lot of fun trying to identify really obscure characters. The female Dr. Light, the Russian Starfire, Dr. Fate, Aztek (!), someone who looked like the gay Rawhide Kid, Sgt. Rock (I like to think so, or it was some random soldier), that gypsy hero from the early-80s JLA revamp (Gypsy?), they were all in there. And I don't want to spoil anything, but after watching that episode, for the first time I wished I was the Atom.

Yes, Warren Ellis was created with writing that episode in the beginning credits.

Most of the episodes do not have the wide array of characters this last one had. I think only 2-3 episodes feature more than 5 characters. Although they do feature some lesser known characters such as The Question and Hawk & Dove.

No, the animation is crude. Go and look at Fantasia, and then look at the Justice League, or almost any TV cartoon. The roughness of motion, the frozen figures, the reuse of sequences, it's all there in the name of economy. I'm not saying it's bad or ineffective, just crude.

I agree. Just watching the old Spider-man shows you can see where they use the same animated shots over and over, especially of Spidey web-swinging around town.

The JLU animation is stylized in the Bruce Timm style. Very simple and bold. Which he started with Batman: The animated series.

i find it very slow. i can live with the animation style. i just don't have the patience to watch some of the episodes to completion at that pace. it's almost like they're trying too hard to appeal mainly to adults.

i find it very slow. i can live with the animation style. i just don't have the patience to watch some of the episodes to completion at that pace. it's almost like they're trying too hard to appeal mainly to adults.

I know what you mean - maybe that's why I like it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You don't have the patience to watch a 22 minute action adventure cartoon? What is it, DragonBall Z or bust with you? 27_laughing.gif

That said, I know exactly how to torture you, lock you in a room and make you watch Tarkovsky's Solyaris.