• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My gosh look where the signature is!!!

15 posts in this topic

Whoever got that signature would have been better off having Stan Lee sign a copy of the comic and let him look at the OA.

Now, not only are they out the fees for the Stan Lee signature they are going to lose multiples of that by losing the potential bidders that won't go near that marred cover :facepalm:

whoever got this signed wasn't thinking properly. i just had stan sign some stuff a few weeks ago and there were maybe 3 people helping him. i was very specific as to location and even had a pencil that was used. he almost just signed right away with his sharpie but his worker bees stopped him. at $80 a sig, had to be in the perfect spot.

I think the dude is virtually blind now. I had an Avengers annual 10 for SS which Michael Golden signed & when I took it to Stan, he signed right over Golden's sig. :sick:

i agree stan is in his final days and the fact that people are paying 80 dollars now for his sig is beyond me as there are a ton of books and such you can buy with his auto and still not spend 80 bucks. as for original art. unless stan wrote that story his auto is not going anywhere near that page. that's the only way I can see that his auto would add value to the page is if he wrote it. as far as that ff cover. yeah its jacked up.

There's something to be said for getting an autograph yourself--there's a personal connection. Personally, I see no value in an autograph I didn't get myself for that reason, and for the fact that there are so many fakes out there.

+1

(Except for my Jack Kirby signed New Gods, from the Kirby estate... :P )

I bought some Ramos ASM original art on eBay recently. Same thing happened. They were signed by Stan in bold marker right in the middle of the art. I would happily have paid $100 per page more if they did't have that black smudge on them. But they were of focus issues of mine so I just had to get them. A shame really. :(

When I see Stan sign at shows, it seems like an automated machine, with little regard to what's being signed or where it's signed as well as, in the hobby's finicky world of condition sensitive collectibles, the manhandling of comics (I sometimes see a slight smirk out of some creators who purposefully mishandle comics they sign as the owners cringe a bit but have nothing to complain about, but that's another topic).

I don't think a Stan Lee autograph does much of anything to the value of the original art category, especially when he signs slightly irrelevant things that is involvement was limited to being an editor of or the creator of the character. Most OA fans don't care about signatures, and if so, it's usually discreetly in the margins and not in the artwork.

As someone said, greater value and appeal would have been to get the published comic book cover signed by Stan Lee and then pair them up together.

Whenever creators sign inside of the original art, it infringes upon the aesthetics of the art as that printing plate of sort which bridges the process of creation to publication.

I have mentioned before that I don't mind it when some artists sign inside the art area. If it's not a scruffy signature and placed in a blank area or out of the way where the eye isn't necessarily drawn to it then I can happily live with it.

This cover that sold recently on eBay baffled me... it already has the artist's sig box on the art worked into the cover and why ask for it to be remarked in sharpie with a quick sketch when the same content is depicted in ink nicely above ???

etdG4rh.jpg