• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enough with the Signaters! posted by DBoy

15 posts in this topic

They're everywhere! And not even rare!

Seriously there are just too many Stan lee's, Dan Slott, Ramos, Ramita etc out there it's not even funny anymore! I can find a Blue Label on the moderns I'm looking for that I don't want a signature on! I don't need their signatures on everything. I have many Stan Lee's signatures on many of my books and not looking for anymore. It's not even rare anymore when everyone and their grandmother is peddling signatures on ebay for ridiculously high prices to make a big profit and then they just sit there being held hostage by the seller asking a ridiculously insane price. Can I just get my moderately priced blue labels and not have all these yellows overloading my searches on ebay?

Take a hint guys enough is enough!

See more journals by DBoy

Many of my SS books are more special to me that I got them signed. You will not see them for profit on EBAY. This is the other side to the collectors that I perch on.

If you are having troubles then buy the raw books. This will fix the consumer upgrades...well, if you get the meaning.

Stan Lee sig does not impress me anymore. It is sloppy and done without care.

But, as time fades a Stanley sig will more than likely be more revered than a universal book.

There is the BIG CHANCE that a slabbed book comes back a lesser grade.

I say GET THEM RAW

Like the man said, by raw. Your opinion is just that and not

everyone will feel the same. I truly believe your post will fall on deaf

ears in this forum. In case you haven't noticed the majority of

the collectors here all strive to attain yellow labels for their

collections.

I can understand your feelings but the remarks WILL fall on deaf ears here.

I buy books raw with signatures SPECIFICALLY in mind now. And the more rare the signature, the better. I agree that with some creators, their sig are everywhere, but it comes down to a personal thing.

Like Ronnylama says, I love to get the sigs for the memory of having met the creator and had him place his/her mark on my copy of a particular book.

Seriously there are just too many Stan lee's, Dan Slott, Ramos, Ramita etc out there it's not even funny anymore! I can find a Blue Label on the moderns I'm looking for that I don't want a signature on! I don't need their signatures on everything. I have many Stan Lee's signatures on many of my books and not looking for anymore. It's not even rare anymore when everyone and their grandmother is peddling signatures on ebay for ridiculously high prices to make a big profit and then they just sit there being held hostage by the seller asking a ridiculously insane price. Can I just get my moderately priced blue labels and not have all these yellows overloading my searches on ebay?

But how do you really feel lol:baiting:

Throwing in my 2 cents:

I will not buy a book or get a book signed unless that particular writer or artist worked on that particular book!

Also, won't buy if the signature detracts from cover art. Signatures should be on background!

I completely agree with only having sigs from people who worked on the book. I've only made one exception to that rule, and it wasn't for Stan. It was for my Star Wars 56, which I had Billy Dee Williams sign, as well as Michelinie and Walt Simonson.

I also agree that sig placement is a big deal for a lot of books. I too would rather not detract from the art too much by a poorly placed sig. This is why I get sigs on the back of books with blank back covers. Marvel Graphic Novels are good for this. So are Watchmen issues, which I've had Dave Gibbons sign on the back of all my copies.

I'm not a fan of signatures at all, so perhaps I shouldn't say a word here, but it's true there's a serious glut of these things, especially Stan Lee signatures. If I was looking for a sig, I'd seek out a Jack Kirby, signed in blue ball point pen on the margin of the first page, which is where I've seen his sig most often. I get the sense the great artist didn't want to obscure his artwork. The thing about excesses of supply is that they always end badly for the investors.

I'm not a fan of signatures at all, so perhaps I shouldn't say a word here, but it's true there's a serious glut of these things, especially Stan Lee signatures. If I was looking for a sig, I'd seek out a Jack Kirby, signed in blue ball point pen on the margin of the first page, which is where I've seen his sig most often. I get the sense the great artist didn't want to obscure his artwork. The thing about excesses of supply is that they always end badly for the investors.
I used to hate signed books, and I still can't stand to see signatures on a lot of comics. Personally, I would never get a bronze or silver age key signed by anyone. But we all have different tastes. I've given the signature series a shot and I'm glad I've done so. I think it adds a new dimension to my collection. Because I approach the hobby as a conservationist instead of an investor, I find that signatures on certain comics from the people involved in a particular run is a piece of history that can and perhaps should be preserved like any other aspect of a collection. I've established certain rules that help me decide when to get a book signed:1. I research the look of the signature beforehand and pay attention to how it flows and how large it appears. 2. The person signing the book needs to be an actual writer or artist on the book being signed. 3. Find a cover with enough space to clearly place the signature in a way that doesn't interrupt the flow or feeling of the artwork. 4. Consider the best ink color for contrast. I'm also fine with just one signature per artist. I'm not a fan of getting an entire run signed by the same artist or writer. Some people do that in the name of registry points, but I sure don't. The overall balance of my collection is more important to me than profit or points. ...and for the record, 97% of the time I prefer blue label. The important thing to realize is that people should feel free to do whatever they like when it comes to their collection. People don't collect what you collect and that's fine. The diversity is what makes this hobby interesting.

I'd eventually like to get a SS by Stan on a key book he worked on. But he does seem to sign at the absolute worse place on the cover. I guess he figures the owner wants his sig at the prominent place on the cover. To me, often, his sig placement is so bad it ruins the book.

I share the frustration of the OP on yellow labels when what you want is a blue. I'm not criticizing yellows. I'm just saying, sometimes I'm looking for a blue, and all you see on ebay are yellows at prices higher than what a blue would go for because of the signature.

I think sigs are a real personal thing. There are yellows in my collection I really treasure because they're a link between me and a favorite writer or artist or actor. But I think alot of people just want the book. So, generally, I wonder about the investment value of signatures. I know that personally a signature lowers the value of many books for me. For example, I'm a fan of J. Scott Campbell, but I have no desire for his signature. I don't want anything to obscure his art. I'll pass or bid lower on books with his sig versus blues. But that's me. Like I said, I think it's a real personal thing.

Agreed. While I personally like SS books, I don't fully understand why people get Stan to sign ANY Marvel book. Sure he might be 'Mr. Marvel' but I prefer to get him to sign books he actually wrote...

Amigo, you just answered your own question and said it yourself haha, Stan is "Mr. Marvel". Fact of the matter is Stan, and Stan alone is the exception to any rule when it comes to Marvel books. I don't care if it is a copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 that he wrote or Godzilla 1 (a Marvel book) that he had more or less nothing to do with. If it says Marvel, I'm cool with him signing it.

Agreed. While I personally like SS books, I don't fully understand why people get Stan to sign ANY Marvel book. Sure he might be 'Mr. Marvel' but I prefer to get him to sign books he actually wrote...

Amigo, you just answered your own question and said it yourself haha, Stan is "Mr. Marvel". Fact of the matter is Stan, and Stan alone is the exception to any rule when it comes to Marvel books. I don't care if it is a copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 that he wrote or Godzilla 1 (a Marvel book) that he had more or less nothing to do with. If it says Marvel, I'm cool with him signing it.

Oh I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just a bit like asking MJ to sign a Derrick Rose jersey... (shrug)

Well to me Stan could be put on any marvel book after 1972. Because he became publisher of Marvel. So technically he helped published ever book Marvel released after that time, up until he left. In theory. My favorite Ive ever seen him sign was a random Batman book.

-Kystix