• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on On Site Grading

22 posts in this topic

Hello all, just wondering what everyones thoughts are about on-site grading. Pros/cons?

How are peoples experiences? I don't want to drop off a bunch of books that might actually have a 9.9 or 10 among them, and have them come back lower because they are in a rush to get them done before the show ends.

(Note- I moved this from the grading and restoration page as it seemed like it didn't really fit there)

By your location I can see you are anticipating dropping off the books in August at the Chicago Wizard World. I have no strong opinion on the actual grading aspects. The only advice I can give is to get your books there early. And I mean really early, like setup day. I don't remember the exact logistics but last year they had a couple large dealer drop offs and they stopped taking new submissions on the first day at something like noon.

Hello all, just wondering what everyones thoughts are about on-site grading. Pros/cons?

How are peoples experiences? I don't want to drop off a bunch of books that might actually have a 9.9 or 10 among them, and have them come back lower because they are in a rush to get them done before the show ends.

(Note- I moved this from the grading and restoration page as it seemed like it didn't really fit there)

Sometimes they are on the loose side, sometimes on the tight side. It's no different than regular grading as they set up the room to resemble the grading room back at CGC including bringing lighting, etc.

What are the prices for on site grading? Does a standard $60 submission still cost $60? Or do they only do the walk thru tier? Do they actually do the whole grading process including slabbing or do they ship them back to you later?

What are the prices for on site grading? Does a standard $60 submission still cost $60? Or do they only do the walk thru tier? Do they actually do the whole grading process including slabbing or do they ship them back to you later?

They are about 40% more expensive but there is no shipping costs, no $5 invoice fee and best of all almost no waiting.

It can be pricey though.

On-site Comic Tier Pricing:

Modern** (comics 1980–present, valued US $200 or less) — US $25

Economy (comics valued US $300 or less) — US $50

Standard (comics valued US $1,000 or less) — US $85

Express (comics valued US $3,000 or less) — US $140

WalkThru (comics any value) — 3% FMV, min. $225 / max. $3,000

Signature Series witnessed signature authentication services for on-site grading — Modern Tier grading fee + $11; for all other tiers, add $10 to grading fee (per signature)

I think Mags are only for Megacon.

On-site Magazine Tier Pricing:

Economy (magazines valued US $200 or less) — US $50

Standard (magazinesvalued US $400 or less) — US $75

Express (magazines valued US $800 or less) — US $100

WalkThru (magazines any value) — US $150

They are about 40% more expensive but there is no shipping costs, no $5 invoice fee and best of all almost no waiting.

It can be pricey though.

On-site Comic Tier Pricing:

Modern** (comics 1980–present, valued US $200 or less) — US $25

Economy (comics valued US $300 or less) — US $50

Standard (comics valued US $1,000 or less) — US $85

Express (comics valued US $3,000 or less) — US $140

WalkThru (comics any value) — 3% FMV, min. $225 / max. $3,000

Signature Series witnessed signature authentication services for on-site grading — Modern Tier grading fee + $11; for all other tiers, add $10 to grading fee (per signature)

On-site Magazine Tier Pricing:

Economy (magazines valued US $200 or less) — US $50

Standard (magazinesvalued US $400 or less) — US $75

Express (magazines valued US $800 or less) — US $100

WalkThru (magazines any value) — US $150

Thanks. Seems like a good option for some of my more fragile books that I don't want to ship and my modern books that I don't want to wait months to get back

Thats interesting, I didn't realize they did on-site with magazines

Actually, I could be wrong but I believe that was only for Orlando / Megacon because what they do is actually truck the books back to Sarasota and grade them at their offices.

I believe for true onsite like in Chicago, Philly and now Baltimore, where they have to bring all the equipment, they don't do Mags because it's too heavy to bring all those extra slabs.

Hmmm. I can't help but feel that their setup at a convention would have higher risk for mishandling since they aren't doing it under normal circumstances.

That being said, I very well may do this! Having read the comments I'm still not sure if we can just pick them up during the con? Or do all/some have to be mailed back?

I've always wondered how they go about deciding on the book value for the grading tier. I have a Hulk 2 that could be a 2.0 or a 3.0. gpa on a 2.0 is $265 while last sale on a 3.0 is $618. Assigning the value before grading can be tricky. Do you think they would push back if I went for the economy tier with the $300 max for $50 as opposed to the standard tier for $85? If it came back a 3.0 I would be more than happy to pay the extra $35, but I assume the tier is decided before grading.

Hmmm. I can't help but feel that their setup at a convention would have higher risk for mishandling since they aren't doing it under normal circumstances.

That being said, I very well may do this! Having read the comments I'm still not sure if we can just pick them up during the con? Or do all/some have to be mailed back?

I've probably subbed 1000 books at shows over the years. Never had a book get damaged.

They are pretty safe and they hire security when the books are being relocated.

As far as getting your books back, I believe they guarantee to get the books back by the end of the show but if they are not done, they will ship them back to you on their dime from Sarasota.

So if you sub on a Thurs or a Fri, there is a possibility that the books won't be done until Sunday and you need to be aware of that and not expect them back same day - which never happens.

From my experience they push the higher tiers through faster - for example, walk through books are often done within a day or two.

I've always wondered how they go about deciding on the book value for the grading tier. I have a Hulk 2 that could be a 2.0 or a 3.0. gpa on a 2.0 is $265 while last sale on a 3.0 is $618. Assigning the value before grading can be tricky. Do you think they would push back if I went for the economy tier with the $300 max for $50 as opposed to the standard tier for $85? If it came back a 3.0 I would be more than happy to pay the extra $35, but I assume the tier is decided before grading.

You choose the value on the invoice. It's mainly for insurance reasons in case the book gets damaged.

If you sub a book and it comes back graded and is worth way more, they'll 'bump' your invoice charge, so it can be a surprise but it's a pleasant one as it means the book graded higher than you thought it would.

If the discrepancy is slight, my experience is that they're not militant about it and don't bump your invoice charge up.

You choose the value on the invoice. It's mainly for insurance reasons in case the book gets damaged.

If you sub a book and it comes back graded and is worth way more, they'll 'bump' your invoice charge, so it can be a surprise but it's a pleasant one as it means the book graded higher than you thought it would.

If the discrepancy is slight, my experience is that they're not militant about it and don't bump your invoice charge up.

Thanks!

As a UK boardie, I have never seen the on-site grading...

Do you get your book slabbed on the day or do you have to wait for it to be sent?

As a UK boardie, I have never seen the on-site grading...

Do you get your book slabbed on the day or do you have to wait for it to be sent?

CGC collects the books on the show floor the way they would at any show along with payment info, etc.

As the books accumulate, a runner carts the boxes of books to wherever the graders are (usually another secluded part of the convention center, like a board room or something similar. They enter the books into their system and your card is charged.

If you have a CGC account you can actually see your books move through the process (except that they don't marked as shipped until everyone gets back to Sarasota, so you can't see your grades before you get your books back).

The graders grade the books like they would at CGC, they get encapsulated (this is really the slowest part of the process and where all bottlenecks occur) and then returned back to the booth for pick up when they are done.

You have a designation on your copy of the invoice (1A or 2B or whatever) and by that designation they find your newly slabbed books and hand them over to you.

Pretty straight forward stuff - you just don't know if your books are coming back in 1, 2 or 3 days.

Is this only available to those that have their subscription service, or can any regular ole joe schmo walk up and get a book graded?

Anybody can grade a comic onsite just like anybody can grade a comic if you mail it to them in Sarasota.

Oh yeah, dealers don't get their 10% discounts with onsite grading either.

Is this only available to those that have their subscription service, or can any regular ole joe schmo walk up and get a book graded?

Anybody can grade a comic onsite just like anybody can grade a comic if you mail it to them in Sarasota.

Oh yeah, dealers don't get their 10% discounts with onsite grading either.

Any ole regular joe schmo can get a book graded; however.....

Only those that have a membership can get a book pressed by their CCS service.