• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Shops in San Francisco?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I will be in San Francisco in late July.

Can you recommend any Comic Shops in that area?

Thanks.

There's a bunch depending on your neighborhood and what you're looking for. Two kind of cool shops:

Isotope Comics Current titles from a wide variety of publishers, loads of TPB's, an assortment of indie and small press stuff as well.

Comic Outpost Current stuff, back issues, toys, & figures.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=7504621&Searchpage=3&Main=332540&Words=BitterOldMan&topic=0&Search=true#Post7504621

I know Lee's Comics in Mountain View and A-1 Comics in Sacramento have bags and boards. Sacramento is a 90 minute drive from San Francisco across two toll bridges.

I do appointments all the time. 150,000 comics at the warehouse, 1936-present. Downtown Berkeley, 3 blocks from the subway stop, across from UC-Berkeley. 25 minute subway ride from SF. I know what I have so it's easy to discuss ahead of time to see if it fits your collector interest.

I don't have archival supplies, but I do have a small selection of slabs, mostly modern-ish.

\]

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=7504621&Searchpage=3&Main=332540&Words=BitterOldMan&topic=0&Search=true#Post7504621

I know Lee's Comics in Mountain View and A-1 Comics in Sacramento have bags and boards. Sacramento is a 90 minute drive from San Francisco across two toll bridges.

haha recommending something in sacremento for someone hitting SF is like recommending something in Philly for someone visiting NYC, except Sacremento is FARTHER.

I'll be there in October... Any recommendations on good places to buy slabs and Mylar bags / fully buffered boards?

For you and OP:

:hi: My information is almost ten years old, but I grew up on and off in San Francisco, and Cards and Comics Central in THE Richmond (not Richmond, that's another town) by Golden Gate Park was always just a few blocks away since we always moved back to the same neighborhood. I can't speak for stock b/c I was a non-collector, but they were always really friendly and knowledgeable and passed the judgement of a collector friend. The website is outdated (calendar of events is current), but I called and they are still open. If you're in to anime and general figurines, it might be worth your while to walk down Clement Street (a couple of blocks down from Geary, I'd say start at 15th Ave. and walk down in numbers) for both bootleg and official stuff, including things you never knew existed (this is where I purchased my Sailor Moon vegetable peeler). There was a shop I used to love to stop in on Clement b/c they had Todd McFarlane figures and a lot of the quality anime stuff, which is all cool to look at. Japantown is pretty much mid-way through town on Geary and has more anime/manga (including a whole Japanese bookstore) stuff as wellm. It's much more mainstream and trendy, so it's more official than bootleg. BTW, I highly highly highly recommend walking/taking public transportation anywhere you can. I've gone through a quarter tank of gas looking for parking in the city.

I used to live in Oakland/work in Berkeley and am pretty sure I have been in the above-mentioned House of Comics. Also liked them, and think Telegraph and the other areas around Cal and downtown Berkeley are worth checking out. But that may just be the nostalgia talking; neighborhoods aren't always as interesting when they're not *your* stomping grounds.

Sorry so long, I JUST GOT SO EXCITED. :whee: Feel free to PM or ask questions about San Francsico/the Bay Area in general if you'd like. I would also really appreciate it if you pack up the ocean and send it to me. As well as my favorite restaurants.