• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 5

145 posts in this topic

Those paper covers have some pretty weak spines and this one looked shot to me. Was that just me seeing through the spine?

I gave it a 4.5... :(

But I did get a bullseye with the HoM93!

That was exactly my thinking! I thought the spine was structurally shot, like you pick it up and it would "flop" over the sides of your hands if you give it enough room to. I went 5.0.

Exactly what I thought too. I'm of the view that CGC marks down structural weaknesses pretty consistently and that's what I thought I saw here.

I guess pressing would improve the look of bottom end bends on the PL. It's a decent looking copy, 4.0 would be harsh IMHO, but has too many issues, particularly with the spine to be a 6.0. I would be very surprised if it were sold as a FN raw.

Personally I thought the HoM was more a 7.0 with the FC corner crease, but bumped it figuring it may have been graded around the same time as the MiS.

I bought it as a raw 6.0.

Those paper covers have some pretty weak spines and this one looked shot to me. Was that just me seeing through the spine?

That was exactly my thinking! I thought the spine was structurally shot, like you pick it up and it would "flop" over the sides of your hands if you give it enough room to. I went 5.0.

Exactly what I thought too. I'm of the view that CGC marks down structural weaknesses pretty consistently and that's what I thought I saw here.

I guess pressing would improve the look of bottom end bends on the PL. It's a decent looking copy, 4.0 would be harsh IMHO, but has too many issues, particularly with the spine to be a 6.0. I would be very surprised if it were sold as a FN raw.

Personally I thought the HoM was more a 7.0 with the FC corner crease, but bumped it figuring it may have been graded around the same time as the MiS.

But did you think it was a 6.0?

I graded the PL #16 a 4.5. I couldn't get past the very rough spine. Otherwise, it was quite lovely. I was quite surprised by the grade.

The HOM I had at a 7.0, inching towards 7.5. The crease in the LRC is what killed it. Otherwise, a beautiful book.

But did you think it was a 6.0?

Excellent question! :shy: actually, no. I had it at a 5.0, thought the seller over graded it, but just really wanted the book.

In the end, obviously, I'm very pleased with the outcome, and the book is still a killer! :cloud9: