• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RESULTS: CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 4

32 posts in this topic

That's it.

Next round, I'm just closing my eyes and guessing...

I went with a 7.0 and 6.5 on those last two. :(

right with you. I don't get it.

+1 People would laugh if I put up books with staining and a shredded corner with a VF grade.

Same book in a slab with 8.0 in the corner will get you a premium. :shy:

I double whammied on that round. I guess my raw collection is at least a couple of grades higher than I give it credit for. :P

Only if you get it slabbed.

Sad but true. (thumbs u

That's it.

My guesses as well. Even considering CGCs leniency on dust shadows, the only way I can understand them going 8.0 on the MIS is if they attribute at least some of the bottom spine damage to a production flaw.

Looking again, I was too tough on the dog ear on the Silver Streak, and what looked like a bend near the bottom spine. I figured it was a 6.5-7.5 book by CGC standards, and gambled that this might be one that was hit harder. I lose.

Mystery In Space #5 - 6.5

Silver Streak Comics #23 - 7.5

I wasn't too far off on the Silver Streak. But I thought that shredded corner on the Mystery in Space would have affected it much more than it did.

With all due respect I have no idea how the Silver Streak got an 8.0. Large brown stains on the BC= :P

I almost gave it a 6.5. I factored in a slight GA bump to get to 7.0.

I wasn't too far off on the Silver Streak. But I thought that shredded corner on the Mystery in Space would have affected it much more than it did.

With all due respect I have no idea how the Silver Streak got an 8.0. Large brown stains on the BC= :P

I think the graders at CGC are much more lenient than when they first opened their doors. 2c

That's it.

My guesses as well. Even considering CGCs leniency on dust shadows, the only way I can understand them going 8.0 on the MIS is if they attribute at least some of the bottom spine damage to a production flaw.

I mentioned the same thing in the grading thread. It got a great response. :D

To get the 8.0 I'm thinking some/most of the bottom spine corner was ruled production related. Sound about right?

Looks mouse related.

lol Well so much for that idea!

That's it.

I mentioned the same thing in the grading thread. It got a great response. :D

To get the 8.0 I'm thinking some/most of the bottom spine corner was ruled production related. Sound about right?

Looks mouse related.

lol Well so much for that idea!

It's possible. My mouse comment was meant to be a joke. :)

I think the graders at CGC are much more lenient than when they first opened their doors. 2c

Ya could be right. Personally I think these guys are picking on the wrong book. Grant the MIS has a few flaws, but for a black cover like that the majority of the book shows NM, which is htf with books 20 years newer. It has some flaws but a 7.0, once again IMHO, is a little too tough.