• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey Super Stories Question

20 posts in this topic

I remember seeing an eBay listing on eBay last year that said that Spidey Super Stories (based on PBS's Electric Company rendition of Spider-Man) #57 was a scarce issue.Can anyone confirm this... or was I thinking of the vinyl record that came out about the same time?

Here's

a scan of the issue in question

I remember seeing an eBay listing on eBay last year that said that Spidey Super Stories (based on PBS's Electric Company rendition of Spider-Man) #57 was a scarce issue.

I have to say the terms Scarce and Arare are much abused on ebay. It is a sad thing.

Thanks for your help, care to elaborate? A comparable print run perhaps?

Well, no need to frown. The terms scarce and rare are so abused by ebay they have been topics here and on other places. Allow me to ecludiate - no - there is no time - let me sum up!

Today's ebay search (titles only) for the word Rare

Today's ebay search (titles only) with the word Scarce

The bottom line? I would not depend on ANY ebay auction with the words "rare" or "scarce" in them for any dependency. It is just that simple.

Well yes, and I understand practice of title-keyword spamming for that sort of thing, but I was hoping for more of a serious answer instead of a vague comment about the practice. In theory this *could* have been a relatively less-distributed issue since obviously it WAS the last issue for that series since the Electric Company television program had gone into reruns at the time and the sales for the comic had dropped like a stone.

Plus since I've only seen that particular issue offered in LOTs of the same title (and not very often at that, about once a month by my count), there is a *possibility* that it could be scarce (but not rare).

I encountered the same thing looking for (and I know the series sucked, so sue me if i like it) Rom: Spaceknight #29. That specific issue has only been offered twice in the past 3 months on eBay, and then only mixed among an ill-defined LOT of a negligable grade (and yes, I bought it the last time it was up for bid and was disapointed). crazy.gif

How often something is listed is not often a good barometer for actual scarcity. If something isn't in demand, and commans very little to no $, you can bet that there's a ton out there camping in quarter bins.

Well yes, and I understand practice of title-keyword spamming for that sort of thing, but I was hoping for more of a serious answer instead of a vague comment about the practice.

Well, you came in and asked I remember seeing an eBay listing on eBay last year that said that Spidey Super Stories (based on PBS's Electric Company rendition of Spider-Man) #57 was a scarce issue.

I replied as best I could, with no malice. Your question was based on your observation of an ebay auction's description. So I answered in kind. I apologize that I do not have the print runs etc but I answered in good faith.

As far as your liking of ROM? I have not and will never denigrate someone for liking any book. If somethings appeals to you, then collect it!

just rated you 5 stars for the kool duck avatar...

Yeah - you probably rated me 1 star because I disagreed with your Bronze Age First Issue X-Men whatever hokum! And it turns out you don't even drink rum! (but you DO eat roast duck so crapola!!!! What to do?)

It's only scarce due to the utter lack of real $$$ motivation behind the series. If people weren't picking up 10-20 issue runs for about 1 dollar an issue in H.G., then you'd see more. The series despite having a mainstay such as Spiderman is regarded more of a "mini-series" and holds about as many collectors as there are collectors out there trying to complete a Lethal Foes of Spider-man mini-series.

As it is right now, any issue in this run that you're not absolutely positive will get a 9.8 or better (unless it's #1) will lose you money when you attempt to sell it versus the cost of grading. Which is why the utter lack of books, however it should be noted that the last issue is indeed a bit harder to find then the earlier books.

So in a nutshell, my answer is no it's not rare but it'll take a little bit of searching due to it's lack of collectability nature.

Brian