• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Strain TV Show Discussion Thread

689 posts in this topic

I'm enjoying the show immensely! I agree with some of the gripes but I am more into watching the show for what it is rather than looking for the mistakes/unrealistic parts. It's all unrealistic - we're talking about 'vampires' here. I just want a good show and that's what I feel like I'm getting :)

Following up my critique, I have to say episode 6 was pretty darned good. Hopefully the series is shaking off it's klunky start and will start finding a better rhythm. It's a cool concept and there are characters to like here, in addition to some pretty good bad guys and lots of gore, so hopefully things continue to improve from here. After all, The Walking Dead TV show got off to a very shaky start as well, but has since fallen into a steadier rhythm over the past two seasons. No, it's not perfect either, and not close to the quality of the truly "great" shows on TV, but it's one of the shows I most look forward to watching.

Also, I know you have to suspend disbelief and/or logic in horror/fantasy stories. I totally accept that. (Hey, I've been reading comic books for 40 years!) I just don't like it when suspension of logic/disbelief becomes the main device to move the plot forward. I can certainly believe in the universe of this show, but the characters still have to act sensibly in that universe, and that hasn't been consistently happening. A perfect example is the CDC and the FBI only being concerned about capturing Eph, even after he showed them PROOF that something horrible and very dangerous is going on. The only explanation for this is the vampires have infiltrated the government at a high enough level that they can influence the decision making. And if that's the case it's so very convenient for the writers to just let all this play out and not really have to worry about instilling any logic or believability behind it.

Whatever. It's fine. Still a fun show for the most part. Sorry if my critiques and analyses of the show rub some of you the wrong way. I just think the show still has some work to do before it can be called "great" or "awesome," but at least it seems to on the right track IMO.

Anyone else kind of distracted by the wig the main character wears? For the first few episodes I just thought it may have been a hair transplant that went bad, but then I looked up pictures of the actor and realized what was going on.

Anyone else kind of distracted by the wig the main character wears? For the first few episodes I just thought it may have been a hair transplant that went bad, but then I looked up pictures of the actor and realized what was going on.

Not really many actors use movie hair. Sometimes it could be real as some people who are balding can grow hair but just not as thick. Could be his case. Show is still great though

Went to 3 LCS earlier to pick up my pull list,

I don't know if it just my city, but the whole 20-30 minutes I was there, almost every 5-10 minutes someone will come in to check if the stores have Strain:Night Eternal 1.

None of my LCS have it. One only pre-ordered 3.

Should be a small print run

Went to 3 LCS earlier to pick up my pull list,

I don't know if it just my city, but the whole 20-30 minutes I was there, almost every 5-10 minutes someone will come in to check if the stores have Strain:Night Eternal 1.

None of my LCS have it. One only pre-ordered 3.

Should be a small print run

I went to a couple stores today hoping to snag one, nada.

Just joining this thread here. The show is kind of fun but it is really bad. I mean how much suspension of belief do we have to extend here?

- A gigantic ornate coffin filled with dirt and worms is found on a plane where all but four of the passengers have died in flight and then the coffin is allowed to be stolen from the scene because one guy lets a van past a checkpoint. I think they'd be keeping a closer eye on it than that and would probably be able to track it.

- The CDC investigators find the worms on the plane and examine them in the lab where they see they are ravenous for human blood. Nobody other than main characters at all concerned.

- The doctor doing autopsies on the dead passengers is killed by the reanimated dead passengers and nobody seems to notice he's missing.

- The 200 dead passengers disappear and nobody is concerned (again, other than the main characters)

- The four survivors (or their loved ones) can't think to call a doctor or the CDC once they start exhibiting some pretty terrifying and disgusting symptoms of their infection.

- The manager of the rock star sees him kill a doctor she brings to him -- yes, finally somebody does think to call a doctor! -- yet she doesn't call the cops.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on the parade but the show is one forehead slapping scene after another. It's not a good show at all! I haven't read the novels or the comics so I have to think this is a poor adaption of the source material as I find it hard to believe Guillermo del Toro would come up with something so silly.

But I am still watching it because I do want to see where they take it. I just wish it was better! A TV show with a plot that advances only because every character is clueless and does stupid things does not make for a well-written show. It's also not very well-paced as there have been several scenes in each episode that do nothing to progress the story.

I hope I can come back here after a few more episodes and have a different opinion. I really want to like it, but thus far it's mostly just trying my patience.

I understand the frustration, but very rarely do the characters in a horror movie or tv series demonstrate sound judgment or make good decisions.