• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 7

154 posts in this topic

TORO the issue I had is that Overstreet grading gives a missing staple a 1.0. That's one missing staple. Here both are missing. Poped staple, I'm at 1.8/2.0 any day of the week but it's just a pile of wraps.

TORO the issue I had is that Overstreet grading gives a missing staple a 1.0. That's one missing staple. Here both are missing. Poped staple, I'm at 1.8/2.0 any day of the week but it's just a pile of wraps.

pope_benedict-1.jpghm

The biggest mistakes I ever make is when I try to use the guide. CGC and the guide have totally different rules. Unfortunately we can only guess at CGCs. But I have seen some books do very well from CGC that look like a pile of ______. Yet they will hammer a gorgeous book for a something you can't see. In the old days I sent a bagged Spidey #1, that was perfect and it came back with 8.5. So I called and they said almost all of those have indents from sealing the bag. I still couldn't see it even after they told me.

Remember those Batman comics the guy found a few years back in a shed. Most had big rat chews and about a quarter of the book was eaten away, but some of those got at least a 1.0.

pope_benedict-1.jpghm

That Pope would have given it a NG

But this Pope is more liberal.

pope-francis-600.jpg

He would have given it a 5.0

Batman #47 CGC 8.0

a128_zps6a9a063b.jpg

Detective Comics #40 CGC 1.8

a127_zps95d18254.jpg

Wow one bullseye and one holy ****.

I shoulda gone with OS and good (2.0) but went with the crazy GA CGC bump and went 3.5.

:tonofbricks:

Thinking I may have my first OVER-GRADED GA book in this contest...this round... :banana:

Well...I'm still 8 for 8 even or under-graded on the GAs...went 7.0 on the Bat 47...thinking maybe it was a 6.5 after all. Interesting to me that I really pushed that grade to a FN/VF and it actually was graded a VF hm:o:screwy:

Without much to go on I was the one who asked Andy if the book could grade out an NG and if so post in the thread. Looked at zzutak's discussion of restored or qualified books and he had no examples of staple-less books but several examples of detached covers and centerfolds and perhaps a wrap or two...nothing definitive...consensus the book will be somewhere between 0.5 and 4.0...

I narrowed it down to 0.5 to 2.0 and figured what the hell...really didn't matter how well the book presented...the staples were gone...graded it an 0.5. At that point it really doesn't matter to the grading and collecting census...the book has X amount of presentation/eye appeal...and is clean without restoration...it is what it is in my mind...an 0.5 with G/VG to VG-ish eye appeal...should be an 0.5 all day in my mind... :tonofbricks::screwy:

On another note...went to my annual proctologist azz exam today...prostate looking strong...thinking back the doc's finger up my azz was a more pleasant experience than when I came back from dinner tonite to see my grades... :sumo:

I got the tec but really under graded the bats. I still cannot believe it's an 8.0

8.0 is VERY FINE.... just listen to the sound of that .....VERY FINE.... then look at that book :mad:

Once again... undergraded.

When were these books submitted?

Anyways, I got the Tec40 but I had a 7.0 on the Bats. :(

I got the tec but really under graded the bats. I still cannot believe it's an 8.0

8.0 is VERY FINE.... just listen to the sound of that .....VERY FINE.... then look at that book :mad:

I really, really, REALLY wish CGC would disclose their grading guidelines. Sometimes I think they must be written in pencil. Pencils with extremely worn down erasers. :(

Butthurt over (until tomorrow night) ;)

On another note...went to my annual proctologist azz exam today...prostate looking strong...thinking back the doc's finger up my azz was a more pleasant experience than when I came back from dinner tonite to see my grades... :sumo:

Ha. I get mine next week.

I got a Urologist group and if I get lucky I get one of the young chicks.

:banana: