• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why is Spiderman #50 value high?

77 posts in this topic

Same reason Spidey 129 is popular - Punisher is not really an A-Lister but he's prominent enough. With 50, the story line also goes through a tumult with Spidey quitting and the cover is now iconic. Oh, and people like round numbers to mark milestones.

As far as Kingpin being a "popular" character sounds quite a rhetoric question.

I guess that besides being the first appearance of Kingpin, it is a very significant story in Peter Parker’s life – they always tried to mark the "landmark" issues with a significant story after that (#100, #150, #200, etc. – up to some point at least).

Another question I have is why is Giant size xmen having a high value and ironman #1 can be had at a decent 7.5 grade at $500?

Iron Man #1, besides being a #1, has surely not the same importance of GS X-Men #1, where Marvel restarted publishing the X-Men with new stories (after many issues of reprints) and launched the new team of which only Cyclops belonged to the original group of students.

It is a very important story.

Another question I have is why is Giant size xmen having a high value and ironman #1 can be had at a decent 7.5 grade at $500?

Iron Man #1, besides being a #1, has surely not the same importance of GS X-Men #1, where Marvel restarted publishing the X-Men with new stories (after many issues of reprints) and launched the new team of which only Cyclops belonged to the original group of students.

It is a very important story.

Yea Iron Man had been on the scene for a while prior to Iron Man 1. You also have to remember that up until 10 years or so ago, Iron Man was sort of a B list hero. It wasn't until the first Iron Man and subsequent Avengers movie that he became such a huge player in the super hero scene.

X-Men has been big for a while.

Because apart from the fact that the Iron Man #1 cover looks pretty awesome, it's not that awesome.

Because apart from the fact that the Iron Man #1 cover looks pretty awesome, it's not that awesome.

Your collection is amazing. Hats off.

Aside from the other reasons people mentioned, GSX1 is the first appearance of Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Storm, each of whom has a strong fan following even 30+ years later.

GSX 1 is insanely important. If not for the fact that it's extremely plentiful in all grades, that book would be crazy expensive.

Is there another single issue with multiple major first appearances, other than Batman 1 and FF 1?

Iron Man 1 is drek.

Kingpin is an iconic Marvel villain. A major bad guy of TWO big heroes. He may not be hot now but he's the kind of character who will come around again and again...and he'll pick up steam with the Netflix DD series.

And the cover is one of the most famous, and most copied, in comic book history.

Plus, it's a damn pesky book to find in really nice condition. :-)

Yea Iron Man had been on the scene for a while prior to Iron Man 1. You also have to remember that up until 10 years or so ago, Iron Man was sort of a B list hero. It wasn't until the first Iron Man and subsequent Avengers movie that he became such a huge player in the super hero scene.

X-Men has been big for a while.

Really?

Popularity and quality are always related, but they do not really coincide, or at least they rarely do. And movies (of disputable quality, independently from the fact they’re faithful or not) can’t be compared to a history spanning decades.

Kingpin is an iconic Marvel villain. A major bad guy of TWO big heroes. He may not be hot now but he's the kind of character who will come around again and again...and he'll pick up steam with the Netflix DD series.

And the cover is one of the most famous, and most copied, in comic book history.

Plus, it's a damn pesky book to find in really nice condition. :-)

I just bought a cgc 8.0 for $760.

Yep that book is cursed-only book I ever tape pulled was my ASM 50.

It's like a magnet for damage.