• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So this guy asks for a refund...

64 posts in this topic

Seriously? Why be a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed?

Peace,

Chip

That's doesn't sound very peaceful.

lol

lol lol

Had a seller on eBay try to pull something similar to this on me awhile back. Bid on a book with $3.50 shipping and watched the auction end. Right as it was ending the shipping jumped to $9.50 in the last few seconds. Clearly the guy didn't get what he thought he would and figured I wouldn't notice. I messaged him when I payed and said $9.50 shipping for one book was insane and he responded he would refund the difference after he shipped it.

Let's just say the guy was horrible at covering his tracks. In the item's description he mentioned that shipping was $3.50 and instead of shipping through Paypal he shipped through the post office and it had the $3 something price label on the package. I got back in touch with him wondering about the shipping refund he had promised and he told me the difference was his supply and gas cost and that he wouldn't be issuing any refund. He then demanded I return the book, which I refused, and I ended up leaving a negative. Only one I've ever left.

How long ago was it when you were able to change the prices on items that have a bid on it? As long as i remember if someone bids on something, you cant change anything about the auction, price wise or description wise for that matter.

Apparently, changing shipping costs post-auction is allowed. A week or so ago I won an auction for a price about four times guide. The seller e-mailed me that since the price was higher than expected he was raising the shipping charge from $5.50 to $16.95 to cover the cost of using a box rather than an envelope and to buy additional insurance.

I told him I would only pay the $5.50 listed in his auction. He replied that in that case he would ship it in an envelope with the minimum insurance. I replied that if the book were lost or damaged in transit, it would be his problem.

He shipped it in a box.

What a turd. It sounds like the item sold for much more than he thought, and he wanted to squeeze even more money out of you.

Is there some pattern to what books are far over guide or is it just hit or miss market oddities?

Golden age comics with classic covers can bring 5-10x guide, sometimes more. Here are just a few off of the top of my head that command multiples in about any condition:

Amazing Man 22, 26

Amazing Mystery Funnies 1.2, 1.3, 2.4, 2.5

Blue Bolt 105

Chamber of Chills 19

Cinderella Love 25

Crime Suspenstories 22

Dynamic 8

Fantastic 3

Fight Against Crime 20

Headline 8

Marvel Mystery 40, 44, 46

Mister Mystery 12

Planet 71

Punch 12

Real Life 3

Seven Seas 4, 6

Weird Tales of the Future 3

The problem with this is that people like me weed your listings out of our searches, because I assume that someone who states "NO RETURNS" (when in reality there is no such thing on E-bay) is not willing to stand behind the product they are selling.

I've gotten so many books with undisclosed issues like back cover stains/tears, popped staples, and loose centerfolds that I am just no going to risk dealing with a seller that implies that they won't stand behind their product. It just isn't worth the hassle.

The scammers will still buy your stuff though, because they know that they can always force the return through Paypal.

This is why I state NO RETURNS on my eBay listings. I'm finding that more often than not, buyers really want the item knowing they can't return it and thus far *knock on wood* have not had a single issue, much less a request for refund.

With that being said, would a problem arise, I'd be more than happy to offer a full refund for returned item - I just don't advertise it. I, personally, think it weeds out the "meh, if I'm not 100% happy, I'll return it or ask for a partial" people. Ones that get buyers remorse 2 seconds after spending the money.

Dang, I hadn't considered that side of it. Hmm...good points and it's def something I'm going to consider. I have no problem standing behind anything I'm selling but hadn't thought that 'no returns' could be perceived that way. Thanks for the heads up.