• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do when it's time to downsize?

44 posts in this topic

Hello all,

What would be a good first step when a collection has just grown too wild and unfocused. Mainly, with moderns or cheap books no one really wants. lol

Should they be given away, sold in bulk on the cheap, used for Decoupage, kindling?

Any suggestions or stories on how you scaled back yourself would be greatly appreciated. My little house just can't support the weight anymore.

I had 2 short boxes of slabs and 1 short box of raw books in my closet.

Sold the short box of raw modern books to my LCS for $60 and EoW TPB #1 & 2.

Then I dove in to my 2 short boxes of slabs and unloaded 2 slabs on ebay as a bundle and 1 slab on the boards to make room for incoming books :)

I have enforced a 50 slab limit on myself. If I want more slabs I have to cull slabs.

I collect way more than I ever intend to downsize at the moment and I have a small house as well. So, I have the same problem.

I did have a box of 100+ comics that I managed to sell for some profit at a local comic/card show (not at one of those big shows) some time ago. They were mainly 90s comics with some desirable comics thrown in, in order to make the deal.

Best of luck

Sell em cheap to someone like I did and later regret it because GSX 1 and X men Phoenix and other now hot books were in there...

I gave away at least 10 long boxes to family, friends, libraries, and children's hospitals.
I was also thinking about seeing if the local women's shelter would be interested in any.

I'd mail em all to Greggy postage due.
With my luck, within a month they'd all be slabbed 9.8's in one of his walls of books in his "this week back" posts. Then he'd sell them back to me. :facepalm:

I gave away at least 10 long boxes to family, friends, libraries, and children's hospitals.
I was also thinking about seeing if the local women's shelter would be interested in any.

Just be aware most women's shelters won't take anything with violence or guns in them.

Just be aware most women's shelters won't take anything with violence or guns in them.

Good to know (thumbs u

[font:Book Antiqua]

If you want to make space at your home

I could take that Marvel Spotlight CGC 9.8 SS from your hands...

You know,

friends helping friends....[/font]

:whistle:

You don't want that, it's got OW/W pages.

Hello all,

What would be a good first step when a collection has just grown too wild and unfocused. Mainly, with moderns or cheap books no one really wants. lol

Should they be given away, sold in bulk on the cheap, used for Decoupage, kindling?

Any suggestions or stories on how you scaled back yourself would be greatly appreciated. My little house just can't support the weight anymore.

If you can't recoup your value, give them to someone who will read and appreciate them. One of the best gifts you can give is a gift that keeps in giving.