• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Took A Chance : What Do You Think?

19 posts in this topic

One of my two favorite early FF Doom covers, the other being #5. Although I know better than to take stupid chances, I pulled the trigger on this copy advertised as a NM, scan the size of half my finger and dark crazy.gif

ff23.jpg

ff23a.jpg

Hey Nikos,

Is that a small water stain at the bottom edge of the back cover? Looks to be a pretty solid 7.5ish copy if you don't mind dust shadows. I wouldn't throw it out of bed for eating crackers, but I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Cheers,

-Jim

No water stain, dust shawdows on the inside covers as well. The overall structure of the book is pretty good IMO. Gloss is pretty sharp, book is very tight, pages are Cream to off-white.

I paid $200 for the book. The sunshadows dont really bother me, but I know CGC will downgrade for this defect. Overall I think its a very sharp copy, which even with the tiny tear in the back cover, and with the shawdowing, it might still grade pretty good.

Structurally it looks an 8.0/8.5, but the tanning on both the front & back would make it closer to a 7.0/7.5 in my book, but I don't know that CGC would be as hard on it. I've been looking for a VG to F copy myself, and have noticed that this is one of the few FFs that seems to always sell for around guide or more in the lower grades, which is why a cheap bastid like myself still doesn't have a copy.

I don't want to be the lone hater in the group . . . I agree with Petey 7.0 sumo.gif but with the dust shadows, the biased miscut FC; the small tear to the LEBC; the light wear to the TEBC, and the CRtoOW pages . . .

I think a 6.5 is possible. frown.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

A CGC grade of 6.5 would be extremely harsh. There seems to be a tendency on these boards to undergrade scans in relation to how CGC actually grades the book. Not that CGC is entirely consistent themselves when it comes to evaluating the effect of tanning, and sun or dust shadows on the grade.

A CGC grade of 6.5 would be extremely harsh. There seems to be a tendency on these boards to undergrade scans in relation to how CGC actually grades the book. Not that CGC is entirely consistent themselves when it comes to evaluating the effect of tanning, and sun or dust shadows on the grade.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif One thing's for certain - this is the first time I've been accused of undergrading 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif