• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

When the provenance of a book is significant.

Publisher or Pedigree copys this adds tons to the character to the book.

Thats 1 of kind per book. how could the appeal of this not be great.

I would love those notations on a 6.0. On a 9.0, not so much.

I'm a bit torn on that. In one way I think it almost adds value and should not detract from the grade.

In another way I think it should add value in perhaps the same way a signature can... meaning that the grade should ONLY consider how close to the new condition the book is, including detract if there is writing etc. Afterwards, meaningful writing (like this one) can then again increase the value of the book (but not the grade) much like a signature can.

The writing makes the book special and it's the entire reason I want the book.

I bet that book would sell for a ton if it hit the market again.

I thought the Marvel Comics #1 pay copy originally sold for a ton after it was CGC graded...then when it hit the market again a little later...it sold for considerably less.

He used to own both Iron Man 1 9.9, both Cap America 100 9.9, Nick Fury 1 9.9 and Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1 9.9

He had to sell that one to get rid of the scratching sound at his front door that kept him up all night.

He used to own both Iron Man 1 9.9, both Cap America 100 9.9, Nick Fury 1 9.9 and Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1 9.9

He had to sell that one to get rid of the scratching sound at his front door that kept him up all night.

lol

lol

lol

The writing makes the book special and it's the entire reason I want the book.

I bet that book would sell for a ton if it hit the market again.

I thought the Marvel Comics #1 pay copy originally sold for a ton after it was CGC graded...then when it hit the market again a little later...it sold for considerably less.

It did but that was over 4 years ago [$227k] and shortly after the market turmoil of 2008-2009. It hasn't been on the market since as far as I know but top census Timely's and keys in general have since skyrocketed.

I disagree with the grade but then again, I don't give grade curves on keys or GA/SA era books. To me nothing with a tear and a stain (back cover or front) should get anything above a FN. FN+ is a stretch especially with what appears to be front cover color loss in the yellow near the spine and my GOD those are the worst bindery tears!

If you think that book is a 6.0/6.5, then you don't know how to grade comics properly. Sorry.

Every bit of a 9.0. Incredible copy.

Ok, then, minor cover stains and 1/4" cover edge and bindery tears are acceptable in grades above FN/VF for you. As a seller I'll be happy to oblige but as a buyer I'll keep looking IF there are better copies available. I hate tears and stains.

Of course in this case there aren't much in the way of alternatives so THIS copy is IT. Take it or leave it. By my insane incorrect standards or yours we do agree on one thing: it is an Incredible copy of this book.

I disagree with the grade but then again, I don't give grade curves on keys or GA/SA era books. To me nothing with a tear and a stain (back cover or front) should get anything above a FN. FN+ is a stretch especially with what appears to be front cover color loss in the yellow near the spine and my GOD those are the worst bindery tears!

If you think that book is a 6.0/6.5, then you don't know how to grade comics properly. Sorry.

Ok, then, minor cover stains and 1/4" cover edge and bindery tears are acceptable in grades above FN/VF for you. As a seller I'll be happy to oblige but as a buyer I'll keep looking IF there are better copies available. I hate tears and stains.

Of course in this case there aren't much in the way of alternatives so THIS copy is IT. Take it or leave it. By my insane incorrect standards or yours we do agree on one thing: it is an Incredible copy of this book.

Not 'minor cover stains'- 'minor light STAIN back cover'

Let's not exaggerate....

Not 'minor cover stains'- 'minor light STAIN back cover'

Let's not exaggerate....

Kav - you're arguing with a guy that thinks this book should grade 6.5..................... there's no point :facepalm: