• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Why do people keep feeling the urge to trumpet when they have someone on ignore? Do they think we're crushed or something? I don't get it.

Why do people keep feeling the urge to trumpet when they have someone on ignore? Do they think we're crushed or something? I don't get it.

If you would actually read what I wrote, I DON'T have you on ignore (I don't have ANYONE on ignore), I am asking if I PUT you on ignore would it block that picture in your sig, as it's making me feel queasy.

I bolded that, so you might notice this time.

Kav loves to post. May pass Greggy by year end.

Yeah, it's impossible to avoid his posts, so I'm trying to figure out how to avoid that picture that is making it hard for me to read.

Woops-ok I'll delete the pic

gulp

Thanks, I appreciate it. Of course now I don't have an excuse to put you on ignore...

I kid, I kid.

What's the story with the Church Tec 27? That has to be pretty nice as well right?

Church Tec 27 is around 8.0 or 8.5 depending who you talk to.

I saw a not so great picture of it many years ago. From what I remember that sounds about right.

The Allentown copy is the best known copy.

What's the story with the Church Tec 27? That has to be pretty nice as well right?

I saw a not so great picture of it many years ago. From what I remember that sounds about right.

Yes, apparently the Church Tec 27 is one of the few that were bought second hand by mr. Church, not from the newstand the day of release. That's why it's not as high grade as the rest of the collection.

Ps the stain is so light it does not appear on the pic

yeah that's 6.5 city....

CGC's top graders got it wrong by 2.5 full grades...on the most important book in existence....yeppers....

Nah, it's more likely this fella doesn't know how to grade. Personally, side by side with the last 9,0 Id have trouble not calling this a 9.2. I'm a little surprised they mentioned the bindery tears in the graders notes. I would have guessed those would be chalked up as a production flaw. This is a 75 year old, 64 page comic for Pete's sake!!

If you haven't realized by now that the graders notes are often superfluous and rarely serve to possibly justify or explain the potential grade it is that we've all been drinking the koolaid too long. Those may have been small bindery tears at one point but now they've graduated into what is now the realm of wear and tear due to aging. I doubt those tears were that big when the comic was printed. Bindery tears should only be considered production defects given that they are the same size as when printed. Those have now exceeded simple bindery tearing. Those are full on aged tears.

lol! Yep I'm totally wrong and incorrect and proud of it. You're all right that I don't grade according to accepted standards and I'm fine with that. I'm my own harshest critic when it comes to my own collection. I purge what I don't agree with and overpay for what I do like. I no longer buy the label, I buy the book that I like and approve for my collection. I'm willing to work within the system when necessary for selling but I don't have to agree with it and I do let things sell for less than they probably should - better for the buyer but it's something I don't want in my collection and some of my sales don't sell because I preclude buyers by undergrading and listing a VF when it is universally accepted as a NM. This wasn't always the case but I've settled on my preferences and sticking with them. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong. I'm saying to ME and ME only it's a 7.0 at best on a good day. To everyone else in the world, it's a 9.0/9.2 and they have every right to pay 9.0 prices. I WISH that I could afford to even pay the 6.5 pricing for this book. I would pay as much as I could to own it. I think it'll sell for more than 3 million and it probably should. But at the end of the day by MY own grading standards if there were any higher copies and I could afford them, I would pass on this copy and buy the copy with 10 NCB spine ticks on the FC/BC, or 9 NCB spine ticks, or 8 NCB spine ticks, or 7 NCB spine ticks, or 6 NCB spine ticks, or 5 NCB spine ticks or perhaps the copy with a full length NCB bend on the BC or 2 1/8" CB corner crease on the BC, or one that has 3 NCB bends and a "lite" stain but without a tear and without bindery tears that look like the cover's been opened too frequently. Since they don't exist to our knowledge, save for the Church/Dentist copy, this is the best we have right now and regardless of how I grade it or you grade it, it is still the best copy up for sale and should be celebrated with ooh's and ah's galore!

Don't argue with me, I'm wrong and you're right. nuff said. :sumo: (thumbs u

Yes, and that's why Dave decided to sell off the Church copy and keep the Allentown copy instead.

Wait a minute! The same guy owned the Church AND the Allentown?!? Wasn't the Allentown pedigree the one where the lady only owned 50 or so comics but all of them were the first appearances in immaculate condition? Perhaps the earliest known case of comic investing/speculation?

Yes, and that's why Dave decided to sell off the Church copy and keep the Allentown copy instead.

My understanding is the church copy is more 7.5 than 8.5 (shrug)

I actually debated buying it a few years ago but my memory might be off a bit

kav at this point you are 3 to 1 winner can i put you on ebay?

Yes. And please use priority male so I don't gotta sit in that box so long.

With no insurance you might be there looooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnggg time. Just saying.

Anyone else thinking Tweedledee and Tweedledum? (shrug)

More like Dumb and Dumber

Seeing as how in your opinion the Church Tec27 is a 7.5, do you have an estimate of books you know or have heard of that would grade above the current highest grade of 8.0

With no insurance you might be there looooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnggg time. Just saying.

:idea:

i was going with Tweedledum and Tweedledumber but you got there first.

Seeing as how in your opinion the Church Tec27 is a 7.5, do you have an estimate of books you know or have heard of that would grade above the current highest grade of 8.0

Good question

Good question

I've heard rumors of a nice hg Tec 27 out there in comic book land but more of a "what if"

I also have confirmed sources that know of a few others better than 8.0 that reside in certain "prominent" folks hands hm

But like action 1, it's probably just a handful