• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1 price makes art look cheap?

50 posts in this topic

Ok not really lol

But I do find it interesting that prognosticators have put the value of this second 9.0 action 1 at 3m+ with the last 9.0 having gone for 2.1. Meaning... just the price differential in 9.0s is potentially more than the price that any piece of US comic art has publicly sold for.

Pretty amazing although it must be said that the new 9.0 looks incredible from the front. Ridiculously fresh looking.

More than anything I think that the action 1s and tec 27s will always be tog dog because what the market really wants - the covers to the marvel keys - either don't exist or aren't on the market.

Views on relative price? Does this change anyone's opinion on the prices for top pieces?

I don't, but I'm interested to hear what ppl say. Does a 3m top benchmark make it a little easier to write a check for 800k instead of 600k? Perhaps it does, psychologically

THe lack of response tells me about how strong a topic this is lol

I think I was just having a stroke and needing to vent from the pics of the Action 1 and how sweet it looks :cloud9:

Ever since I found out you could buy OA, I've thought it was relatively cheap in comparison. But a single page or cover is, like most OA collectors buy, still not a complete story like the publishers/artists intended. It is only a segment or fraction. In a way it one could think of it as buying just your favorite section of a painting :) (sort of joking).

One of the things I like about collecting is that original comic art is that the whole hobby is a grey area.

Well, tintin is euro so I wasn't really thinking about that as the comparisons are already tenuous without introducing the euro factor and marketplace.

The ditko spidey stuff... ehh. I guess.

I do agree with a single page being only a fraction, but that's why I think covers are more comparable as they stand on their own.

Problem is the most desirable covers don't exist / arent' on the market.

Isn't the going rate for a complete Ditko spidey book $1.5million, not to mention the prices of some Tintin art? OA is starting to reach those levels.

I am not sure if it is that high.

A book has 20 pages with one being the splash. Maybe it has two pages that you can count as a splash. So I would say

$40k average for 18 pages

$150k for 2 pages

All together

$1.02 million

Ok not really lol

But I do find it interesting that prognosticators have put the value of this second 9.0 action 1 at 3m+ with the last 9.0 having gone for 2.1. Meaning... just the price differential in 9.0s is potentially more than the price that any piece of US comic art has publicly sold for.

Pretty amazing although it must be said that the new 9.0 looks incredible from the front. Ridiculously fresh looking.

More than anything I think that the action 1s and tec 27s will always be tog dog because what the market really wants - the covers to the marvel keys - either don't exist or aren't on the market.

Views on relative price? Does this change anyone's opinion on the prices for top pieces?

I don't, but I'm interested to hear what ppl say. Does a 3m top benchmark make it a little easier to write a check for 800k instead of 600k? Perhaps it does, psychologically

I do find it interesting that so few marvel key covers are publicly acknowledged to exist. But I thought we have established that these covers and marvel art from this period in general does exist. Are they all with 1 or 2 guys. You got to think if they were distributed amongst 20 people someone would have sold one by now.

There's no question that the early interiors exist. But I read different things about the covers from different people. They've never hit the market , that much we know

There's no question that the early interiors exist. But I read different things about the covers from different people. They've never hit the market , that much we know

Interior pages were retained because of reprint opportunities.

Covers were specific to the time they were published, so were more of a throwaway item.

I've heard - and I'm inclined to agree - that most of the early Marvel silver age covers were destroyed.

Hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling's that there's no hidden stash of key Marvel covers out there.

Covers were specific to the time they were published, so were more of a throwaway item.

I've heard - and I'm inclined to agree - that most of the early Marvel silver age covers were destroyed.

Hope I'm wrong, but my gut feeling's that there's no hidden stash of key Marvel covers out there.

So is there any consensus on the earliest surviving marvel covers? What year, titles, etc?

So is there any consensus on the earliest surviving marvel covers? What year, titles, etc?

There's a Schomburg Human Torch cover from the 1940s, When Marvel was Timely . . .

A handful of covers from the 1950s period, when Marvel was Atlas (I currently own two cover examples from this era) . . .

A smattering of early 1960s covers (no keys), including a handful of Ditko ASMs, early Daredevil covers by Wally Wood, Jack Kirby's Avengers 16, Journey Into Mystery Annual # 1, Strange Tales 138, unpublished X-Men 10 and Fantastic Four 40 (that readily spring to mind of the earlier stuff).

Latter half of the 1960s are more plentiful. I currently own 3 such (large art) examples . . . Tales to Astonish 98, Sgt Fury 43 and Captain Savage 2.

Well that's my thoughts on the matter too, but there's no definitive answer that I've ever heard. Glen Gold had written a couple interesting articles about chasing this down earlier.

Well that's my thoughts on the matter too, but there's no definitive answer that I've ever heard. Glen Gold had written a couple interesting articles about chasing this down earlier.

Would love a link to articles if you have them handy. Thanks in advance

Here's one of them. I think there might have been more?

http://twomorrows.com/kirby/articles/19stolen.html

Outstanding read! I feel like I read this a while ago. I actually tend to think there is a pile in someone's basement and though it might not be 4 feet tall some of these covers exist. Especially if you believe the printer who said the covers were returned. There is just no rational reason why Marvel for instance would destroy the Avengers #4 cover. The splash to that issue, for instance specifically says this issue is destined to become a collectors item. Its not like they had no insight into what they were creating.

Outstanding read! I feel like I read this a while ago. I actually tend to think there is a pile in someone's basement and though it might not be 4 feet tall some of these covers exist. Especially if you believe the printer who said the covers were returned. There is just no rational reason why Marvel for instance would destroy the Avengers #4 cover. The splash to that issue, for instance specifically says this issue is destined to become a collectors item. Its not like they had no insight into what they were creating.

Marvel probably said that Millie the Model's (then) latest issue was destined to become a collectors' item.

Mostly hype.

Marvel probably said that Millie the Model's (then) latest issue was destined to become a collectors' item.

Mostly hype.

I know, hyperbole. Maybe I can't understand why someone would destroy them because I'm a collector but it still seems to be such a bizarre decision.

Mostly hype.

I know, hyperbole. Maybe I can't understand why someone would destroy them because I'm a collector but it still seems to be such a bizarre decision.

No one, back then, could have foretold a collectors' market. They were running a business, selling comic-books. Aside from the interior pages, which had reprint possibilities, there probably seemed little point wasting valuable storage space with covers that couldn't be re-used.

Same sort of thing happened over here in the UK with television programmes. No-one (up until the advent of commercial video releases) saw the point of storing material that couldn't be re-transmitted. The science-fiction series, Dr Who, for example, had a lot of the early adventures routinely destroyed. Now fans clamour for all that missing stuff . . .