• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Growth

99 posts in this topic

TMNT is obviously more popular because of the cartoon and movies.

It was the #1 toy and cartoon for a generation of kids.

There is no way that hasn't effected the prices and demand of the original comic series.

It would be a "key" obviously without all that, but those other forms of media made it THE #1 Copper Age book.

It is a once in a generation series. Maybe even more rare than that. Nothing really compares to TMNT that I can think of.

WD kinda, I suppose, but not really.

Thank you for that. I really don't know why there is a reluctance in the comic book community to accept the fact that exposure in other media (TV/movies) is what primarily drives the value of comic books.

Yep. Rat Queens is a great book. Its a more expensive book since its attatched to TV news. Same for Clone, Todd the Ugliest Kid, The Strain, and many, many more stories. I think people want it to be like the good old days where the art and story drove prices.

In my opinion, the reason this isn't the case anymore has to do with how many great stories are available to the masses. In the 60's, 70's, and 80's, if you weren't working for Marvel or DC, the odds were that a lot of people weren't reading your books. With Image, Dark Horse, Oni, IDW, Boom, etc. There are more good stories available than money to buy them. This is why I believe the TV and movie news helps. It brings much deserved attention to some of these stories. 2c

Without a doubt. The stories are great, but the amount of people that walk into comic shops every Wednesday pales in comparison to the number of TV viewers...

It's all about exposure, which leads them inevitably back to the source material

A large part of the digital purchases (piracy is not really included in those numbers) declining in music almost certainly have to be people fed up with restrictive practices and pricing.

I'm sure digital comics will / already is facing the same problem. Their problem is compounded by the fact that they charge the exact same rate in most instances for a physical copy or a digital copy.

I just saw on the news this morning that digital comics are up since 2011, so is paper as well.

I agree. If digital comics were 75 cents to $1 each, I would buy lots of them but they aren't. In fact, it is usually cheaper for me to preorder a print comic than I can buy it for my ipad. One I can resale for as much or more than I paid for it and the other is intangible and of little resale value. No way does that make sense to me. (shrug)

I think Ryan hit the nail on the head as for future collectability and values. (thumbs u

How fast can you read?

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

The Unlimited is basically just like having a library card, not quite the same thing, but it is a good option and I like it.

As for digital comics being up, yep, and it will continue. At some point it'll hit a critical mass and there will be a 'Yeah... these are too expensive' point of inflection. One all of the middle men are gone from taking their cut (printing, shipping, etc), there is no reason for such inflated prices. Right now those prices exist to placate the brick & mortar LCS.

There is no way that hasn't effected the prices and demand of the original comic series.

It would be a "key" obviously without all that, but those other forms of media made it THE #1 Copper Age book.

It is a once in a generation series. Maybe even more rare than that. Nothing really compares to TMNT that I can think of.

TMNT Adventures was based on the cartoon. What's the first issue of that going for?

Thank you for that. I really don't know why there is a reluctance in the comic book community to accept the fact that exposure in other media (TV/movies) is what primarily drives the value of comic books.

You think high grade Action #1's have multiplied in value these past few years because of the quality and success of the Superman movies of late?

Without a doubt. The stories are great, but the amount of people that walk into comic shops every Wednesday pales in comparison to the number of TV viewers...

It's all about exposure, which leads them inevitably back to the source material

People who don't read comics aren't spending four grand on a comic because it's the source material for a show they liked when they were a kid.

What happens is, and I see it a LOT on these boards is, speculators are just itching for the next thing to speculate on. A preview, an advert, anything. The first time so-and-so did this or that, anything that can be bought for cover and sold on eBay for multiples of cover for any reason.

This includes movie deals. As soon as a movie deal is struck a speculator will buy out all the stock in town on that particular issue, and sell them to other speculators. Not to TV show fans, to comic book speculators. Not to new readers. To other speculators, who will again hike up the price and sell it to yet another speculator. TV shows do not increase the number of readers. Long term, look at how many Batman movies there are. Look what Batman sells every month. The same small pool of speculators are buying and selling the same comics to each other for an ever inflating price. "I wish I had bought a copy when it was only $40, now I bought three at $120 each and will laugh all the way to the bank when it's the next Action #1" and "I shouldn't have gotten rid of this at $20, now I'm finally replacing that lost copy at the steal price of $250!"

These are all the same guys selling the same things to each other.

You think fans of TV shows are getting on eBay to buy slabbed 9.8's of comics the shows they like are based on? They aren't.

As TMNT became one of the biggest creator owned franchises in all of every kind of media you can think of, the series peak circulation never even made it to that of second and third tier Marvel titles. Because fans of the cartoon didn't know the comic existed, didn't care the comic existed, didn't like how the comic was different, preferred the Archie version, or just flat out didn't care for comics. And that hasn't changed.

TMNT Adventures was based on the cartoon. What's the first issue of that going for?

Come on... Really, that is your argument...?

Those same kids who grew up loving the turtles are the same adults who now have disposable income to spend on things that take them back. I think the 25 year nostalgia cycle has been talked about on these boards, and is an accepted fact.

The whole 1st appearance thing, and print run of the original #1, kind of makes your TMNT Adventures argument just goofy.

But if you want to be "that guy", go ahead, because you are doing a fine job at it.

Why is it hard for you to acknowledge other media helps bring in more comic readers?

Batman 1989 changed my life completely. I walked out of that theater a now life long comic collector.

I guarantee that same thing has happened over and over as more people see more and more comic related shows and movies.

Why is this a bad thing?

That movie to this day makes me feel warm and fuzzy....

"As TMNT became one of the biggest creator owned franchises in all of every kind of media you can think of, the series peak circulation never even made it to that of second and third tier Marvel titles. Because fans of the cartoon didn't know the comic existed, didn't care the comic existed, didn't like how the comic was different, preferred the Archie version, or just flat out didn't care for comics. And that hasn't changed."

You honestly believe the people who are now adults, and are Turtle fans to this day, are not going back and buying the issues they could never afford when they were 13?

When I was 13, I would have killed for a Hulk 181, but guess what? I couldn't afford it.

I can now.

You guys are missing the picture (pun intended). Do you think that when a creative team goes to press to launch a new book they think if its gonna be a collectors item or worth alot of money in x amount of years?

No. A comic is first and foremost an artform. Comic books went through decades of evolution and got to be bigger and more recognized than ever before. Film and TV are the new set standard for a successful book, not because of optioned speculation. But because it reaches a wider audience..

That's all you need to know.

Now go buy, read, collect and support the books you love so we can have an even stronger century in evolution.

Do you have any friends who aren't comic speculators? You ever get asked questions about comics? Or do you ever hear their comments on popular franchises that originated in comics? You ever have them approach you with a comic they're sure is worth a ton of money?

They don't know comics, and they very likely don't care. If they do care, they aren't spending thousands of dollars on key issues. That's strictly a thing for comic speculators. You're a small niche segment of a small niche hobby. You are your own customers.

How about this, if you're a comic fan, and you find out your comic was based on a book, do you go spend thousands on a first printing of the book? Do you even read the book?

If movies and TV shows drew more casual readers in, we'd see Batman comics increasing sales since 1989, not steadily dropping. X-Men, Avengers, all these properties are more popular than ever in pop culture, and yet the monthly sales of their comics stay the same as always. Why is that? Because people who loved the movie aren't buying the comic. If they can't be bothered to read a single one of them, they aren't likely to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for a "key" issue that only a comic fan would even know of.

Want to know what people who love TMNT and don't read comics think is the first issue of TMNT?

tmnt01cover.jpg

It says "FIRST COLLECTOR'S ISSUE" right on the cover, gotta be worth money. That's something I've actually seen, and if you look at Craigslist long enough you will too.

You remember the uproar because Michael Bay cast Megan Fox as April, because April is a fair skinned redhead in a yellow jumpsuit? They must not be referring to this April

8157d63754600adc6566a4889f8705a2.jpg

I've actually pointed that out to a friend to counter his complaint and his response was "Nobody cares about the comics." He's an actual TMNT fan.

You guys are missing the picture (pun intended). Do you think that when a creative team goes to press to launch a new book they think if its gonna be a collectors item or worth alot of money in x amount of years?

No. A comic is first and foremost an artform. Comic books went through decades of evolution and got to be bigger and more recognized than ever before. Film and TV are the new set standard for a successful book, not because of optioned speculation. But because it reaches a wider audience..

That's all you need to know.

Now go buy, read, collect and support the books you love so we can have an even stronger century in evolution.

It depends. Is this a licensed comic that some publisher hired some guys to adapt so they could have three hundred variant covers for the first issue?

Yes, if only this were actually true.