• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet 44 overview

71 posts in this topic

I got the Batman cover. Only skimmed the market reports so far but it looks like business as usual: maybe a third thoughtful and well written, a third touting a dealer's big sales and a third that sound like they're trying to move product, along the lines of "Late 70s Gold Key Porky Pig is in constant demand!"

In this part of the country Porky Pig is second only to Harley Quinn in popularity. Early Porks are impossible to keep in stock, and even later issues in high grade are very expensive and in high demand. Of course, some issues are better than others. Porky and Daffy team-ups are break-out books, picnic covers command high premiums, as, of course, do good-pig art covers featuring Petunia at the beach.

Li'l Bad Wolf cameos are also a plus.

What?? I live pretty close to you and I see a ton of Pig books in the dollar bins of the LCS. I don't know how "early" your talking about but I definitely do not see any pig books on the walls of shops in the area.

Ok - glad your kidding. Ohio gets a bad enough rap as it is so I'd hate to have people thinking we are the Porky Pig capitol of the US.

I was stuck in Mansfield, Ohio one week in January :eek: .... and it would not surprise me.

I got the Batman cover. Only skimmed the market reports so far but it looks like business as usual: maybe a third thoughtful and well written, a third touting a dealer's big sales and a third that sound like they're trying to move product, along the lines of "Late 70s Gold Key Porky Pig is in constant demand!"

In this part of the country Porky Pig is second only to Harley Quinn in popularity. Early Porks are impossible to keep in stock, and even later issues in high grade are very expensive and in high demand. Of course, some issues are better than others. Porky and Daffy team-ups are break-out books, picnic covers command high premiums, as, of course, do good-pig art covers featuring Petunia at the beach.

Li'l Bad Wolf cameos are also a plus.

You have a good sense of humor with those market reports.

lol

Thanks! However... in trying to be too cute, I was hoist by my own petard! Did anyone catch the boo-boo in my market report (besides the obvious satire). :cry:

L'il Bad Wolf is not in the Porky Pig universe. He is a Disney character, not WB.

Can I ask, does it still have the same ol' history sections that haven't changed in years?

Some, but it has way more content than it used to. Lots of great articles and interviews, the war report, the market reports are bigger and better and more contrarian, there's the Hall of Fame, interviews with CGC and with Borock, etc. It's a great edition this year, frankly.

It's a good year, but I buy it every year anyway. How can you not? It's only $20.

What prices surprised you? etc...

Well, unlike Bob's usual nice and slow pricing increases, it sure looks like he jump onto the GOTG bandwagon with both feet firmly onto the gas pedal. For example, some of the price increases for some of the GOTG related books were as follows:

Marvel Spotlight Vol 2 #6 & #7 from $6 each to $40 & $50 respectively;

Marvel Preview #14, #15, & #18 from $8 each to $75 each;

Strangle Tales #180 from $35 to $125;

Incredible Hulk #271 from $30 to $150;

Marvel Preview #4 & #7 from $50 each to $350 & $500 respectively;

Marvel Super-Heroes #18 from $250 to $800; and

Tales to Astonish #13 breaking out from $800 to $3,000.

Although we have seen some prices which are substantially higher than the OS ones, these were generally from books grading out at 9.6 and above. Are these books really trading in the marketplace at these OS pricing levels for 9.2 graded copies or has OS jumped the gun on these GOTG related books a bit too early? hm

All I can say is that the comic collectors buying into these books at these prices better hope that GOTG is a huge box office hit with many more sequels to follow. :wishluck:

I looked and surprised I didn't see one of these threads.

Congrats to Jeff Cerrito (Hotflips) for being inducted into the 2014 OS advisory class!

:applause:

I flipped through it, the market report articles were informative.

The gatefold ads seem to be new. It was cool to see representation of the other grading company (that shall not be named - run by SB).

The alternative Hero Initiative guide cover by Herb Trimpe was less than to be desired (and I thought his early work was bad, I mean DAMN!)

I'll hide it in case you just had breakfast...

148811.jpg

So what did you like / didn't like? What cover did you get? What was your fav Market report? What prices surprised you? etc...

Thank you Wally. My brother Charles too was made an advisor as well.

Well, unlike Bob's usual nice and slow pricing increases, it sure looks like he jump onto the GOTG bandwagon with both feet firmly onto the gas pedal. For example, some of the price increases for some of the GOTG related books were as follows:

Although we have seen some prices which are substantially higher than the OS ones, these were generally from books grading out at 9.6 and above. Are these books really trading in the marketplace at these OS pricing levels for 9.2 graded copies or has OS jumped the gun on these GOTG related books a bit too early? hm

All I can say is that the comic collectors buying into these books at these prices better hope that GOTG is a huge box office hit with many more sequels to follow. :wishluck:

Actually, OPG is still pretty conservative. Latest average sales data (slabbed) shows the following in 9.2...

Strange Tales 180 .... $220

Incredible Hulk 271 ... $200+

Marvel Preview 4 .... $500

Marvel Preview 7 ... $850 (last sale $1,000)

Marvel Super-Heroes 18 ... $1,400

Tales to Astonish 13 ... no recent 9.2s or anything close to compare... but a 5.5 recently brought $1,900.

Actually, OPG is still pretty conservative. Latest average sales data (slabbed) shows the following in 9.2...

Strange Tales 180 .... $220

Incredible Hulk 271 ... $200+

Marvel Preview 4 .... $500

Marvel Preview 7 ... $850 (last sale $1,000)

Marvel Super-Heroes 18 ... $1,400

Tales to Astonish 13 ... no recent 9.2s or anything close to compare... but a 5.5 recently brought $1,900.

Well, not really that conservative and probably close to market since your stats are based upon the \latest average sales data for 9.2's while the OS numbers are supposed to represent the prices for 2013 as a whole. Especially since these books have made most of their move in the more recent past. After all, OS is supposed to be reporting on actual prices as opposed to those heady days with Wizard which seemingly tried to forecast or set prices by being one step ahead of the market. Absolutely halarious when some of their Top 10 Hot Books of the month with huge price increases were for books that were delayed in shipping and would not hit the shelves until weeks or even months later. :boo:lol

Like usual, the older and HTF books out of the above group appears to be much more on the conservative side, especially the TTA 13 which will probably trade at a hefty premium or possibly even at a multiple to guide. No real surprise here as we seem to see much more of the traditional OS slow and conservative approach when it comes to the real in-demand older books.

For example, this year's guide details 4 separate reported sales of a very early Archie appearance in Jackpot 4: 1) CGC 2.0 copy for $6,265; 2) CGC 2.0 copy for 8,350; 3) CGC 3.0 copy for $6,100; and 4) CGC 3.5 copy for $18,000. Not exactly sure of the chronological order of these 4 sales, but nevertheless this year's guide for Jackpot 4 places a value of only $1,500 for a 2.0 copy and $3,000 for a 4.0 copy; with top of guide coming in at a "whopping" $19K.

Another example would be the much in-demand and HTF Action 13 with a reported sale of a CGC 3.5 copy for $34,200 along with Sparkle City apparently selling a low-grade copy (CGC 1.5?) for over $13K. Yet this year's guide has the Action 13 valued only at $5K for a 2.0 copy and $10K for a 4.0 copy.

So although the much in-demand GOTG books are certainly super-hot right now when in grade, it's hard to say how much more upside there is left in them and the more common ones might even possibly come down in price over time. Certainly does not appears to be the case for some of the more in-demand older books which are trading at multiples of guide across the condition specturm, which also appears to have many more years of valuation increases left in them with substantially less risk of possible price decreases. hm