• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Vision!!!!!

68 posts in this topic

I want to be entertained. And I am.

I agree, the comic books do not lend themselves to movies in every regard. What works in a monthly comic book does not necessarily provide adequate pacing, style and edits that would work for a film let alone practicality. There are going to be necessary deviations.

Really??? Because that's exactly what I want...an exact word for word, panel for panel representation on the screen.

meh

No, I do not think that you do. However there are way too many people that nitpick over certain things that are erroneous to the storytelling. There are a lot of things that Lee, Kirby and Ditko did that would not stand up to the scrutiny of a movie going public. Some of the material is very dated and hokey in my opinion. Now certain things should not be tampered with. For example, Spider-man does not kill and has a deep sense of responsibility and Batman is a haunted individual who does not use a gun. Those are core quality traits.

If whoever plays Peter Parker has blonde hair one day, I am not going to deride the movie for it though. If Batman takes Robin in under the Jason Todd origin instead of the Grayson origin I am cool with that. If the X-Men have leather uniforms, that is not a problem. If Johnny Storm and Sue Storm are adopted siblings (I hear that is the story) then so be it.

Holy cow. I am so stoked I can't even see straight. The frickin' Vision on the big screen. I just was emailing my brother today, that this whole Marvel film Universe is literally making the dreams of a 6 year old boy in 1976 come true. Seeing the Vision on screen will be the ultimate culmination of that.

You dreamed about the characters being mostly unrecognizable? I think you gave up a potential career in H'Wood :)

And yes...I deserve whatever sass you give me in return. It was worth it :banana:

I find your requirement of hyper-trueness to the source material to be laughable, bud. I grew up with the Superfriends - a whitebread, dumbed down, no action version of the Justice League. And I loved it, even though it stunk, because it was superheroes.

Would I like some things to be more like the Bronze and Silver traditional depiction of the heroes? Sure in some cases.

But given the choice to grumble about the differences like a troll with an impacted tooth, railing against the Hollywood establishment from under my bridge, or reveling in the joy that I feel, both at seeing these characters brought to life on the big screen, and seeing these same characters become part of the world's zeitgeist, I choose the latter every time.

Why do you always say that hyper-trueness to the source is a requirement of mine? I've always maintained that I would like them to get closer than they have and that there's no good reason why they can't.

I feel your kind of joy for almost every animated DC feature that comes out. I just wish some of that could be translated to the live action, big screen counterparts.

There are plenty of reasons why they can't.

a) they need to be profitable so they need to cast a broad net to capture as much audience as possible

b) not all written material translate well to screen

c) every 'sees' things differently and one directors vision (or a corporation's direction) needs to fit into the world view that a particular movie takes on.

They rewrote Iron Man and Avengers to center everything (the Hulk, Iron Man, Shield, Thanos, Thor - literally everything) around Stark Industries - and why not? It's a departure from the books in many ways but it works and works well.

Gotta agree with Sean - you want too badly for X-men #108 - 143 to be directly translated to the big screen with 100% surgical accuracy the way Watchmen was, and you are missing out on a lot of great enjoyment in the mean time.

By the way, while Singer's X-men was a big uptick in the 'team movie', Whedon took it to an entirely different level.

I'm so stoked waiting for this movie.

It's like when I was 10 and waiting for the new Kirby / Ditko / Lee books to come out every month. :cloud9:

I thought I would never have that level of anticipation for the Marvel heroes again - I was wrong. :acclaim:

Holy cow. I am so stoked I can't even see straight. The frickin' Vision on the big screen. I just was emailing my brother today, that this whole Marvel film Universe is literally making the dreams of a 6 year old boy in 1976 come true. Seeing the Vision on screen will be the ultimate culmination of that.

You dreamed about the characters being mostly unrecognizable? I think you gave up a potential career in H'Wood :)

And yes...I deserve whatever sass you give me in return. It was worth it :banana:

I find your requirement of hyper-trueness to the source material to be laughable, bud. I grew up with the Superfriends - a whitebread, dumbed down, no action version of the Justice League. And I loved it, even though it stunk, because it was superheroes.

Would I like some things to be more like the Bronze and Silver traditional depiction of the heroes? Sure in some cases.

But given the choice to grumble about the differences like a troll with an impacted tooth, railing against the Hollywood establishment from under my bridge, or reveling in the joy that I feel, both at seeing these characters brought to life on the big screen, and seeing these same characters become part of the world's zeitgeist, I choose the latter every time.

Why do you always say that hyper-trueness to the source is a requirement of mine? I've always maintained that I would like them to get closer than they have and that there's no good reason why they can't.

I feel your kind of joy for almost every animated DC feature that comes out. I just wish some of that could be translated to the live action, big screen counterparts.

There are plenty of reasons why they can't.

a) they need to be profitable so they need to cast a broad net to capture as much audience as possible

b) not all written material translate well to screen

c) every 'sees' things differently and one directors vision (or a corporation's direction) needs to fit into the world view that a particular movie takes on.

They rewrote Iron Man and Avengers to center everything (the Hulk, Iron Man, Shield, Thanos, Thor - literally everything) around Stark Industries - and why not? It's a departure from the books in many ways but it works and works well.

Gotta agree with Sean - you want too badly for X-men #108 - 143 to be directly translated to the big screen with 100% surgical accuracy the way Watchmen was, and you are missing out on a lot of great enjoyment in the mean time.

By the way, while Singer's X-men was a big uptick in the 'team movie', Whedon took it to an entirely different level.

We're going to have to agree to disagree...on pretty much everything you said.

I always come back to the thought, how will we know for certain that the audience will dislike steak if they've mostly been fed sloppy joes?

I always come back to the thought, how will we know for certain that the audience will dislike steak if they've mostly been fed sloppy joes?

Just to touch on this, mega companies spend a lot of money with people who are very good with public perception in an effort to try and figure out what Joe Consumer will consider steak and what they will consider Sloppy Joes.

I'm betting that the source material has been looked over (remember, some of these people are comic fans) and they decided that what they are serving is in actuality steak as far as they are concerned.

And while you and I consider their steak a Sloppy Joe based on our worldview, we are probably in the minority.

Just to touch on this, mega companies spend a lot of money with people who are very good with public perception in an effort to try and figure out what Joe Consumer will consider steak and what they will consider Sloppy Joes.

I'm betting that the source material has been looked over (remember, some of these people are comic fans) and they decided that what they are serving is in actuality steak as far as they are concerned.

And while you and I consider their steak a Sloppy Joe based on our worldview, we are probably in the minority.

I think we both know the real reason these movies deviate so much from the source and it has little to nothing to do with focus groups.

We know it can be done as there are a few well made superhero comic book movies already. Unfortunately those seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Joss also did not homogenize his team's costumes. To me, that is the smart move, keeping individuality on the team. One studio chose to mostly water down personalities on a team and the other chose to highlight them yet show them working within a team. That's a good way to maximize marketing each character too.