• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylars for CGC graded comics?

Are Mylars for CGC graded comics a good idea or overkill?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Are Mylars for CGC graded comics a good idea or overkill?

24 posts in this topic

I agree a mylar sleeve is excessive. My only guess on why someone would go this route (other than overpaying) is simply aesthetics. To each their own, I guess.

There is a reason beyond aesthetics. The thing to remember about why Mylar is used in the first place is that we don't use it instead of polybags because it helps preserve a comic, we use it because it doesn't hurt comics like polybags do. Polybags release acids as they degrade; Mylar doesn't.

The question is, what percentage of the acid released from a polybag would make it into the CGC case? This reminds me of the argument for using acid-free boxes when you've already got your comics encapsulated in acid-free Mylars; will the acid released from corrugated cardboard actually make its way into the Mylar? If the Mylar's tops are open, then I can see it happening, but it would be extremely difficult to measure how much gets in. It seems to me that since CGC cases are much closer to being completely sealed than Mylars are, the argument for using Mylars with CGC cases is even weaker than the one for using acid-free boxes with Mylars.

I doubt that anybody here has enough info about the diffusion of polybag acids to make an informed call on this topic. I know I'm not all that worried about it, but I could be wrong.

Obviously, the optimum solution is to put the slab in a Mylar bag, and build a Mylar box to keep the Mylar'ed slabs in, and put those in a Mylar safe inside of your Mylar house. The problem with this solution is that when you take a shower, people on the outside would be able to see you nekked...and the last thing we want is a bunch of nekked comic book geeks scaring the kids in the neighborhood. cry.gif

As such, I'm just gonna keep 'em in those bags CGC ships them in! yay.gif

Obviously, the optimum solution is to put the slab in a Mylar bag, and build a Mylar box to keep the Mylar'ed slabs in, and put those in a Mylar safe inside of your Mylar house. The problem with this solution is that when you take a shower, people on the outside would be able to see you nekked...and the last thing we want is a bunch of nekked comic book geeks scaring the kids in the neighborhood. cry.gif

That's pretty much the way the average condition-unconscious collector feels about people who feel the need to use Mylars on comics, and there are definite arguments in favor of that point of view. If you keep books in a stable microenvironment so that the book and the bag don't degrade much, then even polybags aren't that bad...

That's pretty much the way the average condition-unconscious collector feels about people who feel the need to use Mylars on comics, and there are definite arguments in favor of that point of view. If you keep books in a stable microenvironment so that the book and the bag don't degrade much, then even polybags aren't that bad...

They might change their mind if they knew there were comicbook collectors out there that looked like this:

0204_elin_grindemyr_3.jpg

But since there aren't, they're probably right... sorry.gif